You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-23 15:03:23

Anders
Website

KDE applications in GNOME menus and vice versa

Hi,

I installed KDE and GNOME on my laptop. This is because I like them both, and they both have applications that I like.

The problem is that all KDE applications show up in the GNOME menus, and all GNOME applications show up in the KDE menus.

There is a hack explained at http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=26170 that "fixes" this, but it's kind of unusable because:

1) While it's rather easy to do this for KDE, when I install new KDE applications I have to do this again. It's easy because it's in /opt/kde
2) GNOME *.desktop is located in /usr/share/applications, and not only GNOME stores its .desktop files there. Makes it hard to ShowOnlyIn=GNOME there.

Ideally I'd have a directory called "KDE" in the GNOME menu, and vice versa. Is there any way to achieve this easily? Perhaps even the Arch Linux devs could make something like this the default? Right now menus do get very cluttered if you have more than one DE installed.

Running: Arch Linux i686, x86_64, ppc

#2 2007-05-23 15:06:43

lucke

Re: KDE applications in GNOME menus and vice versa

Here's the thingie for gnome "directory" in KMenu. I don't know about the other way around.

#3 2007-05-23 15:25:18

pelle.k

Re: KDE applications in GNOME menus and vice versa

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

Board footer