You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-24 03:37:25

efourseven

xfce4 problems?? [solved]

I have two problems with xfce4 now... one is that i can't delete anything to the trash, I get an error saying:

Failed to copy "/home/ian/filename" to "trash:///filename".
Failed to open "/home/ian/.local/share/Trash/info/filename.trashinfo" for writing
Do you want to skip it?

and I can only say yes, or cancel and the file won't go to the trash.

The other problem is that I can't logout of xfce4... no dialog comes up at all anymore. I have to ctrl-alt-backspace to get out of xfce4. Does anyone know what the problem can be? I searched on xfce forum, and people seem to have problems with the trash, but different than what I have dealing with. Any help??

Last edited by efourseven (2007-05-26 03:53:57)

#2 2007-05-24 04:35:52

efourseven

Re: xfce4 problems?? [solved]

I think there is a bigger problem somewhere because a lot of small things are not working now, such as limewire, and all of a sudden i cant even run firefox on my user account, it gives me an input/output error when i try to run it. I am logged under root to use firefox and everything works fine under root... even the trash can in xfce4 and the logout. I don't know whats goin on...??

#3 2007-05-24 07:02:49

kano
Website

Is your /home on a different partition or drive? That would explain the input/output errors as non-root if that (part of the) drive is dying.

If not, it may be a permissions problem but the input/output error(s) points towards corruption/drive errors...

\\ archlinux on a XPS M1530 //

#4 2007-05-24 09:54:47

Kern

I have two problems with xfce4 now

since when did it go wrong? updated anything ?

i think i saw something about xfce4 and permissions elsewhere in the forum, root runs ok, but the users  filesystem inherits roots directories/settings .....   maybe do a search ....

Last edited by Kern (2007-05-24 10:00:12)

#5 2007-05-24 11:16:34

efourseven

whats up guys, thanks for the reply's.. I solved the other problems (input/output error, etc)... I had no hard drive space left, I deleted a bunch of stuff and everything works fine, So I think the only problem with my drive was that I had no space left, lol. I can also logout sometimes, sometimes I cant, maybe the logout is hanging? but the trash problem is still their.

I think your right kern.. It has to do with permissions... I noticed this:

Failed to copy "/home/ian/filename" to "trash:///filename".
Failed to open "/root/.local/share/Trash/info/filename.trashinfo" for writing

So that's definetly a permissions problem within xfce4. I have to go to work now, but when i get home i'll do more research on it. thanks guys.

#6 2007-05-24 23:04:35

efourseven

I cannot find a fix for this problem, has this happend to anyone? I searched this forum and the xfce forum...I only see people getting trash error's when starting up xfce... I get it when I try to delete something to the trash. I can only delete things from the terminal with rm command.

#7 2007-05-26 03:56:24

efourseven

I did a grep -r /opt ~/.config/xf*   and it straightened out my trash problem. Apparently I missed a notice at the upgrade of xfce4... always pay attention to those... thanks for the help.

#8 2008-01-15 07:47:04

shlomomofo

efourseven: i'm getting the same issue.... could you tell me how you solved it?  perhaps someone else has a clue? i don't get why xfce wants to put my rubbish in root's trash...... and there in no equivalent directory in my user

thanks!

Failed to copy "/home/listen/.config/sonata" to "trash:///sonata": Failed to open "/root/.local/share/Trash/info/sonata.trashinfo" for writing.

Board footer