You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-24 11:59:41

fishonadish

UPNP server problems - any suggestions?

Hi,

I've been trying to get a Logik IR100 Reciva radio to pick up a UPNP server from my arch computer.  I've tried a handful of servers, with mixed results and wondered if anyone could suggest any further steps or other servers to try.

I suspect the problem I'm having is also caused by the Logik itself, so there's nothing I can do about that.  However, it has had better results from different servers.

The difficulty is that the Logik is losing the connection (returning to its initial 'Connecting to Network' screen) alot when trying to browse the upnp server database.  I thought perhaps the character encoding or filename lengths might be at issue (a complete guess, though), but there's very little info available about the Logik and most of the available servers don't have an option to change this.

All the available servers are on versions less than 1.0, so it's hard to know where the problem is.  There may be some problems with the player firmware, but it's seems from the differing results that finding the best server will help.

I've tried the following:

Ushare
I can't get anywhere with this if I share my whole collection - it works fine if just point it to a single album/folder, but that's not much use.

Fuppes
A smaller database worked ok, but sharing my whole music folder got nowhere. (Also, I have to kill it every time - it won't shut down properly).

Mediatomb
I've got the best results with this - works fine for a while, but after playing music for an hour or two, the process goes up to about 60% CPU and the player can't navigate the database. Also, I lose the start of every track.

Gmediaserver
This seems to work fine in the sense that I can browse the files and choose them without error, but obviously I'm missing a layer between it and the player or it expects the player to do some of the work that the other servers do for it.  The player flicks through each song like it's only getting a filename, and the server output seems happy that the request has been satisfied.

Anyway, I'm sorry for such a long post, but I could really use some help/advice on this.

Regards,
Fishonadish

#2 2007-11-01 20:32:47

SiD

Re: UPNP server problems - any suggestions?

Hi,

I just tried to use uShare and MediaTomb to stream my music to an XBOX with running XBMC (XBOX Media Center).

I have similar Problems:

uShare:
If I try to browse the files after starting playback of a song, XBMC hangs.
With big "database" and also if I just share one folder.

I thougt it could be a Problem with my Router-Settings, so I tried it with a direct connection (via a switch), but same problems.

From the uShare HP:
"uShare keeps some information on files in memory. If your multimedia collection is huge, this might be a problem."

MediaTomb:
With MediaTomb I can browse while playback is running. Well, it works, but I really don't like the configuration and usage.
If the CPU usage gets higher after some time I've not tested.   

So, I couldn't help you ,sorry.

I thoght about buying a uPnP / Network DVD-Player, but if there are no working/usable uPnP-Servers for Linux .....

Last edited by SiD (2007-11-01 20:36:32)

Board footer