You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-25 18:42:56

synthead

XGL, Beryl, and XFCE4 ... it works! What about starting automatically?

At the moment, I have my computer entering runlevel 3 (command line) so I can "startxgl 0 xfce nvidia" to later start beryl-manager.  It's kind of a hackjob and I would really like to have xgl start xfce, and xfce start beryl-manager.  I wanna login and have a beryl-enhanced XGL ready to go.  I tried putting "startxgl 0 xfce nvidia" into the fifth runlevel parameter in /etc/inittab, but that didn't fly.  And when I put beryl-manager into my XFCE4 autostarted applications ... well ... it didn't start.

Have any of you guys ran into the same situation?  How did you figure it out?  Any ideas?  Thank you all!

#2 2007-05-25 19:27:01

ataraxia

Re: XGL, Beryl, and XFCE4 ... it works! What about starting automatically?

You need to have a DM start it for you. I recommend SLiM. Configure your DM to start the server the way startxgl does it:
Xgl :0 -nolisten tcp -accel xv:pbuffer ...

(I'm typing that it from memory, so I'm sure it's a bit off. Look at the ps output for Xgl to see how to run it.)

I had this working, but found that it tended to screw up my screen in certain (frequent) cases. I had a thread here about it, which no one answered. Eventually I just gave up Xgl and went back to plain XFCE.

#3 2007-05-31 09:52:12

synthead

What do you mean by the PS output from xgl?

#4 2007-05-31 16:23:44

ataraxia

I mean, do "ps axww | grep Xgl" and learn the right arguments for Xgl from that.

Board footer