You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-26 16:35:18

Ryujin
Forum Fellow
Website

Static snapsots of Arch

I have been working on a little protect called Axiom Linux for a while that involves taking snapshots of the arch tree.  I was just wondering if there was any demand within the arch community for arch snapshots, I can easily put them up on locke.suu.edu.  We could start an "Enterprise Arch" style project so we can cater the distro more towards the server market. 

Tell me what you think, I think this would be a very worthwhile project.

#2 2007-05-26 22:26:50

Ryujin
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Static snapsots of Arch

I really expected some kind of reply, I will make a publicly available static snapshot of the Arch Tree on locke.suu.edu, announce it and see what happens.

#3 2007-05-26 23:47:26

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Just curious ryujin. When you say snapshot..what exactly do you mean?

Arch is rolling release...What occurrence would trigger your repository to perform a  snapshot  specifically? A cd release?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#4 2007-05-27 08:28:53

iphitus
Forum Fellow

CD iso's are snapshots at a point in time, and eventually we'll have a DVD..... what more snapshottage do you want?

James

#5 2007-05-27 08:33:42

STiAT

Hello,

I've a different point of view with this. I'm running several arch servers, and i'd like to see a "snapshot release" which is patched with just security patches, so i'd really appreciate this work.

I'm thinking on a "snapshot based" release, rather taking all arch releases and patching them with the latest security patches. That would be the server distribution of my choice.

// STi

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

#6 2007-05-27 16:51:28

gradgrind

Like STiAT I think there might be some interest in a snapshot based release if the aim is to keep a stable base for longer than is usually the case in Arch whilst incorporating security patches and fixes. A sort of Arch-stable, if you like,  (or Not-Arch-stable, for those who think Arch is something else). But as I can well imagine what an enormous task maintaining this would be, I suspect it's not a realistic idea.

#7 2007-05-27 21:38:40

Ryujin
Forum Fellow
Website

What I originally had in mind was to create a distribution based on arch which would have been snapshots of the complete tree, current extra community and unstable, and then work to maintain security patches and the like as well as offering some pre-installed options, more particularly I was working on making a system similar to rpath where ISOs could be made online and downloaded primarily using gradgrind's larch scripts.

But most importantly I wanted to do something that added directly to the Arch resources, my big fear is the Ubuntu/Debian style schisms that truly wreak havoc on communities.

As far as time line goes I would plan on following CD releases, the new release system affords itself to frequent snapshots, I was mostly curios in this post if this is something that the community would find useful?

Board footer