You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-28 00:11:22

hybrid

How is lightscribe coming along? update: IT WORKS NOW!

Hi,
first off: Yes, I did search the forum and read through the threads I found about lightscribe in Arch and I know that at this point in time it is not working. But they're all rather old postings and so I wanted to know whether there is some offical progress monitor for that or whatever (couldn't find anything for lightscribe on flyspray either). So far I can neither find anything somewhat recent about the status or the obsticles that yet have to be overcome.
So now to my sort of workaround kinda thing: I was wondering, since lightscribe seems to be working with a couple other distributions now (I think I read about SuSE, Ubuntu and Fedora (Mandrake I'm not sure about, it's been a couple weeks since I last did some "research" on that)), shouldn't it be possible to download a live CD of that distribution, boot it and "install" the lightscribe crap and use that?
I know this is very far off and many are probably like: why doesn't he use windows then to use lightscribe: Well I don't have a Windows. And even if someone would give me a Windows license for free, I would still try everything, to get it done without the use of Windows.
Has anyone done or tried that before?

edit: works great now on my system, which has:
libstdc++5 3.3.6-2
4l 1.0r6-2
lightscribe 1.8.13.1-1
Seems like the last libstdc++5 update finally worked a little miracle. :>

Last edited by hybrid (2007-10-01 01:52:13)

#2 2007-05-28 02:58:07

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: How is lightscribe coming along? update: IT WORKS NOW!

The software itself works, at least in some places. For instance, on my friends Fedora box it works. It fails on Arch using the exact same binary. I even read that some Gentoo users have it working, while others are getting the segfault. Some of the Gentoo users simply suggest rebuilding libstdc++:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-35 … rt-25.html

I've read a couple of other theories on why this is happening. One theory is that it's built on an older kernel, and is incompatible with more recent kernels. The other is the way that Lightscribe looks for drives. It opens up /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info and then systematically checks each device for Lightscribe capabilities. I don't believe that's quite right simply because my Lightscribe drives are showing up as sr0 and sr1.  The solution here shouldn't be a problem with my setup then:

http://k3b.plainblack.com/message-board … be-support

Last edited by skottish (2007-05-28 03:09:06)

#3 2007-05-29 13:26:37

intsarts
Website

Well everyone who are pleased archlinux users are owning(not pwning) or buying also a lightscribe writer. I got my writer on last summer when it was a hot piece. And well i have contacted with Romashka. And also i have found that lightscribe do work on ubuntu 7.04 (there's a 2.6.20x kernel), i ported the packages with alien(this one isnt from space). Now i can say that kernel doesnt count here (hopefully). Well this text is a garbage as the patent of lightscribe... Also we can think about this libstdc++

I was thinking about that Kernel.org ppl would make some modular drivers for it hmm

Mmm... Doughnuts....

#4 2007-06-17 13:16:42

Romashka
Forum Fellow

intsarts wrote:

I was thinking about that Kernel.org ppl would make some modular drivers for it hmm

I don't think this will be possible soon because the technology is patented.

@skottish: thanks for info. I tried /dev symlinks trick long ago, but still got segfaults. Will try it with new version again and will try to play with libstdc++.

to live is to die

#5 2007-06-17 13:29:36

iphitus
Forum Fellow

from my understanding, there's no need for drivers at kernel level anyway, it's implementable via userspace, and so there it shall remain.

James

#6 2007-07-09 15:04:52

loupy

Has anyone been able to get this working yet?  I really love arch - but burn so many cds a week that I may have to switch to debian (and really don't want to)

#7 2007-07-21 13:28:55

hybrid

no, I don't think anyone got it working for arch yet. And I don't know if too many people are actually trying. Anyhow, I just tried the new version (1.8.something) and it's still segfaulting.
Right now I'm trying to figure out the flags that were used to build the libstdc++ that contains the libstdc++.so.6 with on systems that this whole crap is working on (eg ubuntu, mandriva, ..). maybe that gives me a hint. But what worries me a little more than the libstdc++ stuff is the "ioctl(3, SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE or TCGETS, 0xbfa81958) = -1 ENOTTY (Inappropriate ioctl for device)" that stracing 4L-cli enumerate gives me.
Well maybe someone running a distribution that lightscribe works with can give the output of 'cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info', because for some reason lightscribe reads that. Maybe those distributions list lightscribe capability there. Even though that actually can't be right. But anyhow, rather shooting out in the blue than not shooting at all.

edit: well maybe someone knows a difference/special about any of these libraries: linux-gate.so.1, liblightscribe.so.1, libpthread.so.0, libstdc++.so.6, libm.so.6, libgcc_s.so.1, libc.so.6, libstdc++.so.5, /lib/ld-linux.so.2

Last edited by hybrid (2007-07-21 13:34:38)

#8 2007-07-21 22:00:53

skottish
Forum Fellow

hybrid wrote:

Well maybe someone running a distribution that lightscribe works with can give the output of 'cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info'

I've seen this on Mandriva and Fedora, and there's nothing significant there. It was also posted in a mailing list thread at (I believe) Arch-Dev.

#9 2007-07-21 23:08:55

hybrid

whoooooah, why the heck...
Alright, I have one system here that works and I can not find any significant difference. Sure there's different versions of libraries but nothing big. Jeeze, why the f does it work there? I checked and I also couldn't find any install-script in the rpm-files either (because I don't know if rpmextract would've found it if there was one in there. but anyhow, apparently there is none in there anyways).
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

#10 2007-07-22 11:28:24

iphitus
Forum Fellow

hybrid wrote:

whoooooah, why the heck...
Alright, I have one system here that works and I can not find any significant difference. Sure there's different versions of libraries but nothing big. Jeeze, why the f does it work there? I checked and I also couldn't find any install-script in the rpm-files either (because I don't know if rpmextract would've found it if there was one in there. but anyhow, apparently there is none in there anyways).
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

different versions of libraries is a bigger difference than you may think. A single version change could introduce an entirely incompatible library.

#11 2007-07-22 22:53:03

hybrid

Yeah, that's true. But since there is so many different distributions out there which can run lightscribe, well that covers a whole bunch of different versions. So I would expect (course I can't know) the reason to be more like different optionis packages were build with. Different things that they include. Gentoo for example has a package called "lib-compat" that provides a whole bunch of libc5 and libc6 libraries for compatibility. I dunno what exactly is in the arch glibc2 package yet (gonna look into this next).
I guess I will try to fool around with the packages that contain the libraries I mentioned a little earlier. Like checking the PKGBUILDs, building them with f-ing '!strip', I dunno. Then again even if the problam layed in there, I could probably fool around with that for years and still not have found the right configuration...

hey, another idea that I've just had because I am also playing around with qemu: I tried Knoppix 5.1, converted the lightscribe-packages with alien, installed them and it worked like a charm. Would it be possible to boot (eg) Knoppix in qemu/virtualbox, and run lightscribe from there? The problem there would be, that qemu/virtualbox would need access to the real lightscribe device. I am completely new to emulation/virtualization, so maybe someone else could answer that...

#12 2007-07-23 08:02:24

matiit
Website

Hybrid - no problem. but we must do something to get it work on arch...
I don't like when something working on ubuntu, fedora blabla and doesn't working on Arch blabla

#13 2007-07-25 23:57:53

hybrid

I sent lightscribe a technical help request in which I actually just told them that lightscribe is not working under Arch (and for bait I told them that arch is a intensively developed distribution with an active community). Well not even 26hours later I got a friendly response. So far, so useless. But, quote "As new distributions are added they will most likely appear on our Linux download page or our Pre-Release Software Evaluation page if you want to check them in the future. [...] http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/pse/ "
Alright, I am not that naive to believe that an arch package is gonna pop up there quick. But maybe one of the packages that they (will) release there might work. There is a debian package (version 1.6) that I am trying out right now but seems like it's segfaulting too.
But what we all can do is fill out this form here: http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSect … dback.aspx
Everyone who has a lightscribe drive here should fill this out. If they really do work on the linux drivers at all (and that they just released a new driver about a week ago could indicate that) then I'm sure they'll want to know about that segfault.

#14 2007-09-12 00:44:29

skottish
Forum Fellow

digidrops reported in the AUR listing:

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … s=0&SeB=nd

That enumeration didn't segfault running LSS 1.6.43.1 on Arch. Can anyone else confirm this? I can't, but I'm way more than curious.

#15 2007-10-01 01:46:30

hybrid

Holy, f-in' moly, I just labeled my first DVD under Arch!!!
I didn't fix it, I just saw that there was a libstdc++5 update and so I thought I'd just give it a shot and holy mother of god it worked perfectly!

Here's my setup:
$ pacman -Qs lightscribe
local/4l 1.0r6-2
    4L: LaCie LightScribe Labeler for Linux
local/lightscribe 1.8.13.1-1
    LightScribe Host Software for Linux
on an up-to-date Arch

Yay! :>

#16 2007-10-01 02:41:16

skottish
Forum Fellow

I can confirm that it works not only on Arch, but also using lib32 packages on 64 bit. The lib32-libstdc++5 package must be updated first:

# $Id: PKGBUILD,v 1.2 2006/11/07 19:17:38 Pierre Exp $
# Maintainer: Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de>
_pkgsourcename=libstdc++5
pkgname=lib32-$_pkgsourcename
pkgver=3.3.6
pkgrel=2
pkgdesc="GNU Standard C++ library version 3"
url="http://gcc.gnu.org"
arch=(x86_64)
groups=('lib32')
depends=('lib32-gcc')
source=(http://mirrors.easynews.com/linux/archlinux/extra/os/i686/$_pkgsourcename-$pkgver-$pkgrel-i686.pkg.tar.gz)

build() {
    cd $startdir/src
    mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/opt/lib32/usr/lib
    cp -dp usr/lib/*.so* $startdir/pkg/opt/lib32/usr/lib
}

#17 2007-11-09 19:56:42

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

Wow..... finally working eh >?  smile

Now I can play with my lightscribe drive ....... finally.
Which of these AUR packages do I need to install ?

lightscribe 1.6.43.1-1
lightscribe-sdk 1.4.142.1-1
lightscribe-labeler 1.4.128.1-2

all of them ?????

#18 2007-11-09 22:11:02

skottish
Forum Fellow

I'm using the lightscribe package and 4L (Lacie) from AUR:

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … s=0&SeB=nd

#19 2007-11-13 19:59:37

crouse
Website

Thanks skottish smile

I haven't had time to try it out yet, been busy setting up more arch machines, but hopefully this weekend i'll get to play with it smile

#20 2007-12-04 18:42:16

crouse
Website

Finally had free time to play with this....... very cool smile  Was a snap to burn images to the cd..... only drawback, it takes 21 minutes on my system to burn the image into the top..... but well worth the wait, I love the look it gives, much better than a stick on label.  wink

#21 2007-12-04 18:49:40

skottish
Forum Fellow

crouse wrote:

only drawback, it takes 21 minutes on my system to burn the image into the top

That's typical. It's the same on my system, and slightly less on Windows (~1 minute). I agree though, it's worth it.

Board footer