You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-28 23:44:14

viniosity
Website

General q about cell phone bluetooth modems

One of the things I love about OS X is that I can have my Mac connect to the Internet via the bluetooth connection on my Nokia N73.  http://urbanpuddle.com/articles/2006/12 … ooth-modem.  Are such things possible with Arch?  What are the equivalent things that would need to be done (generally) to get it working?   The modem script for the cell phone is of particular concern to me..

#2 2007-05-29 00:14:34

nicholai

Re: General q about cell phone bluetooth modems

I have that working with my bluetooth mobile phone, a samsung, and a pcmcia bluetooth card.

It's not very difficult to setup, basically you want an rfcomm connection to your phone and, as you point out yourself, a dialup script.

I think the dialup script is pretty close related to your mobile phone brand and carrier, but it should be easy to find examples on the internet.

Let me know if you have any bluetooth connection problems (I've had quite a few myself over the years.)

/Nic

Desktop :Athlon64       2.2 GHz
Laptop   :Toshiba R100    1GHz

#3 2007-05-29 18:06:11

viniosity
Website

Hey, thanks for the offer.  At this point I'm using Arch though VMWare over MacOS so there's no need for me to do anything connectivity-wise, but I am considering going full-time with Arch again so, now that I know it can be done, I'll start my laptop search in earnest.

v.

#4 2007-05-29 18:14:14

tomk
Forum Fellow

I have a dial-up script that I got the first time I tried this (can't remember where I found it), and it's survived various changes of distro, phone, and network, with just minor, straightforward tweaks, and associated changes in /etc/ppp/peers.  Let me know if you want me to post it.

#5 2007-05-30 00:34:17

viniosity
Website

Thanks.. I might need it in the future but I think I'm ok for now.  One related question though, since you're connecting via bluetooth I'm wondering if by any chance you're also syncing addresses and calendar via bluetooth as well?  If so, do you have a suggestion as to which application to use?

-Vince

Board footer