You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-01 06:31:12

sven

An HTML-kit - like editor for Linux [SOLVED]

In my workplace we are using Windows XP and there our editor of choice is HTML-kit. I like Gedit and Bluefish a lot in Linux but both are missing the feature I like the most in HTML-kit: the live FTP connection that makes all the files visible directly from FTP and then when I am editing them, they got directly uploaded to the FTP server. All without the need to manually ALT-TAB into an FTP client, find the proper file and upload it.

Is there an editor that might do to the same thing in Linux?

Last edited by sven (2007-06-02 07:57:36)

#2 2007-06-01 09:18:22

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: An HTML-kit - like editor for Linux [SOLVED]

IMO that functionality shouldn't be part of an editor. You could look at fuseftp or curlftpfs to mount the remote FTP directory on your system, and then use any editor you like on them.

#3 2007-06-01 09:30:18

smoon
Website

tomk wrote:

IMO that functionality shouldn't be part of an editor. You could look at fuseftp or curlftpfs to mount the remote FTP directory on your system, and then use any editor you like on them.

Or, if you're in Gnome anyway, use gnomevfs to do the same. You'll only be able to use the "mount" with applications that support gnomevfs though, but gedit and bluefish should do so.

#4 2007-06-01 19:08:45

sven

Thanks, smoon and tomk! Yes, I agree, Windows programs are having too many bells and whistles all at once sometimes, but great ideas otherwise, when combining the right tools in Linux. I'll look info fuse or gnomefs, they sound good.

Last edited by sven (2007-06-01 19:11:23)

#5 2007-06-01 20:44:14

antis

I know this isn't exactly what you want but I use Bluefish this way:

I have a webserver where I upload my html files to and I do all the editing and have all source files on my laptop.
To make things easier and avoid having to do the alt-tab thing you talked about I have created a small script that I run from within Bluefish to do the upload for me. The script is very simple... something like this:

#!/bin/bash

lftp -u username,password 192.168.0.2 <<EOF
cd /home/httpd/html/
put $1
quit 0
EOF

In Bluefish under preferences->external programs you can then call this script by adding it to "utilities and filters" like this:
"/home/user/ftp_upload.sh %s"

The last step would be to create a short-cut key so that you only have to press eg Ctrl+g, or what ever you want, to save and upload the file you are currently working on.

This method doesn't let you browse the remote ftp directory and edit files directly, but I find it to be a very smooth way to quickly edit and upload your local files to an ftp server.

#6 2007-06-01 23:22:31

tm8992

If you're using gnome, definitely use gnomevfs.  It's actually built right into nautilus, so do:
Places->Connect to Server
Fill in your details.

For FTP, you need to make a change to gedit configs for it to allow saving (otherwise it will just be read-only FTP on gedit):
Run "gconfeditor" (Applications->System Tools->Config Editor), apps -> gedit 2 -> editor -> save -> add ftp to writable_vfs_schemes.

I'm sure there's a cmd-way to do this, but I never looked into it.  I don't know if this works for Bluefish, either, but with gedit, you can open and save files on FTP easily.

Hope this helps big_smile!

#7 2007-06-02 07:56:48

sven

Thanks for idea for Bluefish, antis! tm8992, thanks for this advice! I found that gedit has a plugin for displaying file browser at the side panel - and Gnome config settings you described worked perfectly! This is just like at HTML-kit. I have only used kde, then blackbox and finally beryl+xfce4, so I am doing my first steps with Gnome. But I like some Gnome software like gedit, gnumeric and abiword.

Board footer