You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-01 17:45:11

mac57
Website

Upgraded KDE, Now Doesn't Start

I have just done a pacman --sync kde and upgraded KDE to current. Now it won't start! When I kick off KDE via the startkde command, I get a small popup window that says

Could not start KDEINIT - check your installation

Has anyone run into this before and know a way around it? My KDE is fully current with what is in the Arch archives (yes, I did do a "pacman --sync --refresh" before updating KDE).

For now, I am stuck! Any and all suggestions welcome!

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

#2 2007-06-01 19:43:41

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Upgraded KDE, Now Doesn't Start

Try a reinstall.....

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2007-06-01 21:10:37

mac57
Website

Re: Upgraded KDE, Now Doesn't Start

Been there, done that, no joy. Same result. I am guessing some unhandled dependency is biting me. I am going to start backtracking through KDEINIT itself and see if I can figure out where it is dying.

It is sad that we have to do stuff like this to get things to work. This sort of thing will continue to limit the reach of Linux until we get it sorted out. Possibly this is why one of my least favorite Linux distrox, Ubuntu, is becoming so popular that Dell is starting to sell it... it is fairly well contained and for the most part, just works.

Of course, as you may have seen from some of my other posts, Ubuntu behaves positively Microsoft-like in terms of its ability to "play nice" with other OS' on the same machine. I installed Ubuntu as an alternate boot on the same machine as my Arch, just to see what all the fuss was about. One of the Ubuntu updates I applied wandered on to my Arch partition and "updated" a few things there as well, totally trashing my X server and then my XFCE4 (discovered that when I finally - thanks to some kind folks here on these forums - got X working again). Hence, I really don't like Ubuntu anymore!

I've tried a lot of distros, but Arch continues to shine as the best of the bunch. Now, if I could just get KDE going again... :-)

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

Board footer