You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-03 11:22:10

us3r
Website

LiveCD

Hello,
sorry but I dont speak english very well.

I want to create some liveCD based on arch. Ofcourse i read about larch, archie and other project. But I want to do it "step by step" method and create it without larch and some others project.

First I create some directory, ex. /distro and i'm install base packages to this directory. I edit everything what i want, and i'm use for this directory mksquashfs.
I get distro.sqf.

Next i create some directory ex, /distro/boot and I copy "isolinux" and for the end i edit configure file. When I'm use from archie distro initram and kernel -everything is ok. 

But archie have a old kernel. I want change it.

And this is my question:

What i must add to arch kernel, if I want to use it on my livecd? Or maybe i must edit initram too (because this file is to old .. or sth like that? )

Again sorry for my english.

Last edited by us3r (2007-06-03 11:24:54)

#2 2007-06-04 04:50:56

gradgrind

Re: LiveCD

I think the standard Arch kernel should not need modification (unless you want something fancy like bootsplash, maybe), but you will need to modify the initramfs/initrd - at least so that it has the modules it needs from the new kernel.

#3 2007-06-04 05:16:20

Ruckus

#4 2007-06-07 06:52:09

us3r
Website

thanks!

I replace old modules in archie and add new kernel. I have error on switch_root (bad newroot /mnt/liveroot).

Maybe somebody use larch and have initram/initrd for new kernel (2.6.21)?

Thanks again.

#5 2007-06-07 13:30:35

raymano
Website

us3r wrote:

thanks!

I replace old modules in archie and add new kernel. I have error on switch_root (bad newroot /mnt/liveroot).

Maybe somebody use larch and have initram/initrd for new kernel (2.6.21)?

Thanks again.

If I may suggest: I know you are trying to do this from scratch but it's like reinventing the wheel. I highly recommend gradgrind's excellent work in larch. They are simple and elegent and a very good place to learn how to put a live CD together. IMHO the larch scripts are easy to understand and customize. They saved me a ton of time and headache.

FaunOS: Live USB/DVD Linux Distro: http://www.faunos.com

#6 2007-06-08 12:06:40

us3r
Website

Thank You, raymano

Yes I want to build it from scratch. Larch is excellent work (thank gradgrind). In free time i study larch scripts. But if smb has a initram/initrd (new) from larch, I would be appreciate to share it.

Thanks again.

Last edited by us3r (2007-06-08 12:08:34)

#7 2007-06-08 12:46:25

raymano
Website

us3r wrote:

Thank You, raymano

Yes I want to build it from scratch. Larch is excellent work (thank gradgrind). In free time i study larch scripts. But if smb has a initram/initrd (new) from larch, I would be appreciate to share it.

Thanks again.

In Arch it's a initcpio image (kernel26.img) and no one can really share their custom initcpio image since it may not work with your particular kernel or file system. In arch we use mkinitcpio to generate it. You can learn about mkinitcpio here:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio

FaunOS: Live USB/DVD Linux Distro: http://www.faunos.com

Board footer