You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-05 20:41:56

alpha_gamma

Sun Certified Java Programmer Certification

Hello,

I am a C++ programmer who just got an associates degree.  I went for an interview yesterday and did very well on a C++ technical interview. The company actually deals partly in recruiting and part application development.  The interviewer told me that it would be a good idea to get a Sun Certified Java Programmer Certification and then I could be more marketable for a job being that things are geared more tword the internet now. They asked me to get back to them to let them know how soon I could get the certification.

I would like to know what the average time is to study for the Sun Certified Java Programmer Certification. Have any of you taken it?

Thanks again,

Andrew

#2 2007-06-05 21:44:52

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Sun Certified Java Programmer Certification

I guess it depends on what you want to do.
If you want to work with java, then you might consider getting a java cert.
I generally dislike certs, and I specifically dislike java. tongue

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2007-06-05 22:29:27

soniX

I have that certification.
Read the official certification book from Sun, answer the questions in the book until you get most of them correct (they are fairly close to the ones you get at the actual test), and you should be able to pass the test.
Its hard to make a guess at how much time you will need to pass, but my guess is "not much".
you know how to program c++ so all you really need to learn is the basics of the Java language (not so much on how to program, but the actual language)

#4 2007-06-06 01:47:38

alpha_gamma

Thank you soniX for that insight and the link to the official certification book from Sun. I guess now I will contact that office and give them my time line.

I decided to focus specifically on C++ because it develops good programming habits/skills.  I have read an essay written by an old school programmer who started way back with Assembly then got into C when it came out then moved to C++.  He said that Java it a substantial language that is worth paying attention to. I agree as well.

I started to read 20 year old books on C because I heard that so many languages are based on C and learning it would help one migrate to other languages better, such as Java, which was syntactically based on C.

#5 2007-06-06 09:26:47

STiAT

Java cert took a friend of mine not longer than 2 month, without having a clue about Java or C++ (ruby developer).

Anyway, the greatest lack on the market currently are java developers, closely followed by Oracle Database Administrators / developers and C++ developers.

I also dislike Java, but often thought about taking a closer look than i did on the technical university developing distributed systems.

// STi

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

#6 2007-07-26 19:18:38

hvgotcodes

I generally dislike certs, and I specifically dislike java. tongue

I agree about certs, but not the second part.  You can make A LOT of money doing web application development in java.  Granted thats not a reason to like java, but it certainly is one to pursue it....

Board footer