Saw this linked on OSNews

http://www.linuxlookup.com/modules.php? … tent&id=58

19 out of 20...not bad guys. big_smile

#2 2004-03-23 19:47:00

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Review of Arch

Few months and that one point loss on documentation will be made up for too wink

#3 2004-03-23 21:33:42

whol

Don't forget to put in your two cents at OSnews.com

Lotta people asking questions.

http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=6456

#4 2004-03-23 23:41:06

tehdely
Website

Posted:

I found that the review captured Arch quite well. I'm an Arch fan myself, and I've found that my favorite aspect of the distro is the fact that it's tailored towards the more "control freak"-ish members of the Linux-using community, i. e. those who don't feel that their system should be much more than a shell to build their ideal distro on top of. Arch's simple, not in-your-face binary package management goes with this, as does its minimalistic init script and configuration system. It's truly a distro for those who are knowledgeable with Linux and know how they want _their_ installation to behave.

I find Debian and Gentoo to be quality distributions as well, but when you're installing one of those you basically have to subscribe to the Debian or Gentoo way. Arch stays out of your way and lets you run Linux how you wish smile

[Arch GNUstep Repository] [ PKGBUILDS ]
[code][gnustep]
Server = ftp://blkwidow.lerp.com/pub/mirror/arch/gnustep[/code]

#5 2004-03-24 00:48:09

wakeupbomb

One of the people on OSNews says that Arch isn't the best choice for games, and I have to agree. It's about the only thing missing for me. Iv'e manually installed them myself but it would be nice to have them in pacman
games such as Battle for Weynoth, UFO: Alien Invasion, gl-117, slash'em, openmortal...etc etc

#6 2004-03-24 01:38:25

dp
Website

wakeupbomb wrote:

One of the people on OSNews says that Arch isn't the best choice for games, and I have to agree. It's about the only thing missing for me. Iv'e manually installed them myself but it would be nice to have them in pacman
games such as Battle for Weynoth, UFO: Alien Invasion, gl-117, slash'em, openmortal...etc etc

do you mean the lack of pkgs or the compatibility? ... pkgs can be included very easily as you probably already know or going to learn :-) ... i dont know any of these games you mentioned, so i cannot speak really on this subject that informed :-) ... but i know tuxracer working on arch, and trackballs and neverball are also funny big_smile

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#7 2004-03-24 02:00:47

wakeupbomb

dp wrote:

do you mean the lack of pkgs or the compatibility? ... pkgs can be included very easily as you probably already know or going to learn :-) ... i dont know any of these games you mentioned, so i cannot speak really on this subject that informed :-) ... but i know tuxracer working on arch, and trackballs and neverball are also funny big_smile

I mean pkgs, Iv'e created my own packages for most of them, but I haven't uploaded them to incoming, cause I dunno if the last package I uploaded was even done right. So i'd hate to upload loads and find out it's allllll wrong. If you get what I mean...

#8 2004-03-24 03:22:26

whol

wakeupbomb wrote:

Hey Bomb,

Where do you get your games?  Are they hard to install on Arch?  I just got my nvidia driver working, and installed Enemy Territory, but thats the only game I have so far.  I saw foobilliard in the package tree.  I never even heard of some of the games you mentioned - are they OpenGL games?  I'm thinking of buying Never Winter Nights.

thx

#9 2004-03-24 03:43:39

wakeupbomb

whol wrote:

Where do you get your games?  Are they hard to install on Arch?  I just got my nvidia driver working, and installed Enemy Territory, but thats the only game I have so far.  I saw foobilliard in the package tree.  I never even heard of some of the games you mentioned - are they OpenGL games?  I'm thinking of buying Never Winter Nights. thx

Hey, well http://www.happypenguin.org/ is the best site for gaming news (I know of)
gl-117 is an amazing opengl action flying game...thing
ufo: alien invasion is opengl
critical mass is an opengl space invaders type game
make sure you install the ut2004 demo big_smile
and erm scorched3d looks awesome but haven't tried it yet
There are tons of opengl games and Neverwinter Nights runs really well for me.

#10 2004-03-24 03:57:45

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

wakeupbomb wrote:

and erm scorched3d looks awesome but haven't tried it yet

Wow, I'm not a gamer, but that looks really really fun. I have to try that just as soon as I have time (circa 2062)

#11 2004-03-24 07:39:03

robot5x

Battle for Wesnoth is in incoming so at least there's a PKGBUILD to use...
I just installed the linux client of Neverwinter Nights and it's AMAZING!
It's really nice to see native linux games around and to support these developers rather than bloodsuckers like TransGaming.
Anyway, great review - and quite rightly.

#12 2004-03-25 09:52:54

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

What about VegaStrike & Flightgear....?

Mr Green

Mr Green

#13 2004-03-25 12:00:54

dp
Website

wakeupbomb wrote:
dp wrote:

I mean pkgs, Iv'e created my own packages for most of them, but I haven't uploaded them to incoming, cause I dunno if the last package I uploaded was even done right. So i'd hate to upload loads and find out it's allllll wrong. If you get what I mean...

he he .. i understand ... i have also a horribly slow upload-speed

... but if you want, you can contact the TU's to include the pkgs to the staging-repository, if they are working (i'll be away for a week)

http://tur.archlinux.org/

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Board footer