You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-07 22:21:27

rayjgu3

piano/keyboard

im hoping somebody here has a piano / keyboard /
(im thinking  "M-Audio Keystation 88 ES 88-Key MIDI Controller"
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/K … main.html)
or the like, that can help me out
my wife wants a keyboard to learn to play piano/organ i told her santa might be able to help her
im hoping somebody here can help me(santa) to find a keyboard. im thinking 88keys as thats what a piano typicaly is .
and it has to be archlinux compatible ,
i did some searching ,
but if somebody here is up on this & wouldnt mind giving some help i would appreciate it
thanks

#2 2007-06-08 04:38:16

pauldonnelly

Re: piano/keyboard

You may want to just get a MIDI keyboard. You can couple it with something like a Yamaha UX-16 MIDI to USB converter (which works in Arch with no work on your part but plugging in the cables). Go for weighted keys if you've got the cash, since they're way more satisfying to play on.

#3 2007-06-11 13:26:41

fdac

Any MIDI-compatible keyboard, digital piano, etc. will be able to plug into a computer regardless of operating system, if you buy the correct adapters.

However, it depends what you/she really want.   

In decreasing order of 'realism' and feeling like a real piano to play, the options are:

1.  Real grand piano
2.  Real upright piano
3.  Digital piano or 'stage piano', made by a known brand of pianos and keyboards (Kawai, Yamaha, Roland)  Usually not huge numbers of sounds and effects but most realistic weighted key action outside of a real piano
4.  Keyboard workstation / MIDI controller / synthesiser - lots of sounds and effects, fairly "plastic" key action
5.  Cheap electronic keyboard.

For me, who learnt on acoustic pianos, option 3 is the only suitable choice compatible with computer interfaces. 

Cheers
Francis

#4 2007-06-12 04:36:17

pauldonnelly

I'm pretty sure it's fairly easy to find a keyboard with weighted keys that also has MIDI output. But if she wants to play organ on it too, I'm not sure how important that is, since weighted keys won't feel like an organ. It's a shame you can't build a keyboard with piano, organ, and harpsichord key feel options.

Board footer