You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-08 19:30:32

mgushee
Website

NoUpgrade status?

Hi, all--

Just upgraded Pacman from 2.x to the current 3.04. In the process I noticed some messages about removing NoUpgrade lines from /etc/pacman.conf. Since this was new to me and a bit surprising, I Googled 'pacman noupgrade', and found the following:

http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacm … 06260.html

Anyway, I have the following questions:

1. Has the bug been fixed?

2. If so, is it safe to remove all NoUpgrade lines, or only those that were auto-created? In particular, I am concerned about a line I added manually:

NoUpgrade = usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

If you've ever tried to configure TeX, you'll understand why I don't want to lose that file!

So, can someone explain the current situation? Thanks!

Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA

#2 2007-06-08 20:07:53

ataraxia

Re: NoUpgrade status?

Run 'pacman -Qii' on the package the file came from. If the file is in the 'backup' list, you can (and should) remove it from NoUpgrade.

#3 2007-06-08 20:15:42

shining
Pacman Developer

Re: NoUpgrade status?

The problem is that there was 2 different backup systems used for several files :
1) The NoUpgrade lines in pacman.conf
2) the backup array in PKGBUILD

All default NoUpgrade lines in pacman.conf were already in the backup array of the corresponding package.
See for example : pacman -Qii filesystem
It'll list all files in the backup array. These files were also needlessly in NoUpgrade. But removing them from NoUpgrade caused these files to be lost because of a bug.
If all went well during pacman 3 upgrade, this should have been fixed, and you can now remove all these NoUpgrade lines.

But texmf.cnf isn't concerned at all (see pacman -Qii tetex, it has no backup files).
So you want to keep this file in NoUpgrade.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

Board footer