You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-09 06:53:21

peque

VMware problems.

Hey Forum

just some perhaps foolish questions:

I have an Lenovo thinkpad X60 - Which I should use for work - BUT I would really like to run vmware - so I install Arch Linux totally from buttom  and ended up with this problem.

After following the guide in wiki about installing vmware - I have tryed to use the guide - but keeps failing about building the vmmon module - I use the wrong C compiler - Allthough its says that I use a conpiler that to old - allthough I got the latest.

I have tryed to build the one from AUR  - but I keeps failing after placing it into rc.conf ..
Cannot see the spedcial reasoin anywhere - unless it's becaurse i'm running the Kernel 2.6.21 ???
Could that be the problem - and what can I do with it.

Well I know there ain't much to work with but I cannot find anything specifict in the log files

Just getting better .... All the time

#2 2007-06-09 08:32:53

caved

Re: VMware problems.

Hi there,
Stupid question but wy on earth would you want to use VMWare ??
Half of the time those vmware modules wont build (as you have seen)
I am using VirtualBox it's 13 MB in size and OWNS VMware 3 times over in speed,
size and usability, it just works, is small and fast like hell.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

Just my 2cp.
Caved

#3 2007-06-09 09:42:58

mucknert

VMware needs xinetd. So if you put it into the rc.conf file make sure that you have started xinetd first. Then, the package from AUR should work like a charm.

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#4 2007-06-10 03:39:49

congyiwu

I don't have the xinetd package and vmware 6 works for me

VMware 6 builds fine for me...   I was using aurbuild and getting a nasty error about the vmware tar.gz file not existing while trying to install the vmware 6 package, then I realized that I had to manually download it and put it in the folder with the PKGBUILD...

I had a weird problem where vmware(version 5, dunno bout 6) kept complaining that it wasn't configured, and I had to delete some file (called not_conigured or something like that in /etc/vmware) to fix it.

virtualbox sounds interesting, though

#5 2007-06-10 05:57:32

mucknert

The Server needs it, Workstation does not. The OP stated, that he put it into the rc.conf which indicated, that he might be using VMware-Server.

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#6 2007-06-14 20:05:14

congyiwu

woops... my bad.  I have workstation (I still need to put vmware in the daemons section of rc.conf though).

Board footer