You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-11 21:48:55

The_Nerd
Website

Lirc using a serial (rs-232) input? (no actual ir involved)

I've been researching this idea for a couple of days to no avail, I figured I would see if anyone here had an idea.

lirc has a great setup for parsing and acting on values recieved from an input. The problem I'm having is that in every way I've seen to set it up, it must have an IR input (I know i know, thats why it's called lirc.

I'd like to control it from a straight serial input. I have a serial cable going into the pc, and communication works fine, but I cannot find any way to give lirc my hex commands via serial port, without having it interpret them as ir signals first. Thus, I get gibberish when I run irw on my /dev/lirc or anything of the like with the lirc_serial module.

If anyone has an idea about how I might be able to give lirc straight serial commands as defined in lirc.conf, and have it treat that as an interpreted remote command, I'd love to hear them.

I imagine that I could write a program to take my serial input and match it against a list of commands, pretty much how lirc works already, and then have my program call irexec, which is my ultimate goal with lirc. I'm looking to control mplayer, over a serial port in order to put it all on a single control panel which is setup to control a number of devices via rs232.

If I'm overlooking something and someone has gotten this to work already, I'd appreciate some pointers on how to get it working. I've played with the lirc dev/input driver and haven't been able to get that working either, and I figured that would be my best bet.

Thanks in advance,

The_Nerd

Board footer