You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-16 07:50:00

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Building a password generator

Which non-alpha chars would you use in a password generator?  Obviously I'll use the shift+number chars but do I really want to use ¬, `, and | ?  I'd like the passwords to be easy-ish to remember.  Should I use spaces as well?

#2 2007-06-16 08:21:28

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Building a password generator

I would use whatever `pwgen -sy 10 100` uses.
tongue

heh. just kidding. the pwgen default is *fine* if you want a generated password.
I have found that passphrases are much easier to remember, contain more entropy, and are generally longer.

Like: "Sometimes Borris puts his under-pants on his head! %ZOMG%"

I could probably remember that, type it in a *reasonable* speed, and the occasional laughter would confuse my coworkers... which is always a good thing.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2007-06-16 16:54:37

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

...ok, that's cool and all but...I actually want to write my own little password generator as a ruby scripting exercise and I wondered what non-alpha chars to use wink

I may use that passphrase though wink

#4 2007-06-16 18:29:41

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I think any of them are fair game, but it depends on the password receiver. If it isn't coded well enough to handle some of the escape characters (for instance a badly written php-sql password field or something), then it could cause a problem.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2007-06-17 07:56:53

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

I suppose it's impossible to make allowances for ALL poorly coded receivers?  I guess it just depends on if the generated password works and if t doesn't try removing the non-alpha chars

Board footer