You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-16 15:50:44

Magician21

System freeze during boot when Loading Udev uevents

I've seen this problem since 0.7.2 on my laptop (HP Ze1250), and on both my laptop and my intended Myth Box since upgrading to Duke.  The Myth box is an Athlon XP 2100 on an A7M266-D motherboard, 1GB of RAM, MX440 video, and HD3000 capture card.  More details can be provided if necessary.

The system boot process on the laptop (and usually the Myth box) goes fine until it gets to the "Loading Udev uevents" point.  Sometimes it will work, other times it will just sit there with no disk activity.  The problem used to only affect my laptop, but has begun to affect the desktop since the upgrade to Duke.

Can someone point me in the right direction for how to debug this?  I would appreciate it greatly.

I won't get time to look into debugging this until at least tomorrow night, so please don't think me ungrateful if I'm slow in responding.

Thanks!

Last edited by Magician21 (2007-06-16 17:45:03)

#2 2007-06-17 04:33:56

Leigh

Re: System freeze during boot when Loading Udev uevents

I had a similar issue some time ago. I discovered it had something to do with my bios and how it probes my devices. When browsing through log files I found some conflicts, irq related I believe. Sometimes my system would boot fine, but most times it would hang just as you say yours does when loading udev.

You might try adding the "pci=conf1" parameter to your kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst. This solved the udev hanging problem for me.

For example...
kernel /vmlinuz26 pci=conf1 root=/dev/sdc3 ro vga=773

Now I'm not totally sure how this parameter works, but I know it somehow bypasses the bios probing, which in my case, allows udev to effectively do it's thing. countless searches on pci=conf1 or pci=conf2 left me kind of confused. Anyway, I do know, without it, my bios and udev don't play well together!

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#3 2007-06-19 02:40:55

Magician21

Working on the laptop so far.  I'll post again when I get a chance to try it on the Myth Box.

Thanks!

#4 2007-06-19 07:16:49

Leigh

Glad it seems to work so far. I forgot to mention that this parameter is also related to the pci=nobios parameter.  If you still start to have problems you might also try the pci=nobios. I would make sure you can boot from the fallback image before trying, just incase it doesn't work.

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

Board footer