unable to update some packages: pacman thinks installed ones are newer

Hi all,

pacman gives me this warning on updates:

[root@beta ~]# pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 current is up to date
 extra is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: ion: local (20070203-1) is newer than extra (3rc_20070506-1)
warning: jdk: local (6-2) is newer than extra (6u1-1)
 local database is up to date

What should I do?

Thanks,

Fabio Varesano

#2 2007-06-18 21:50:37

Ramses de Norre

Re: unable to update some packages: pacman thinks installed ones are newer

pacman -S ion jdk

#3 2007-06-22 03:10:47

ravisghosh
Website

I'm facing the same issue after removing mirrors which are geographically far from me and keeping the near ones. I'm located in india and hence, i left mirros from asia, australia, and turkey and removed every other mirro and than ran rankmirror. Now, it says that a lot of package installed are newer than that on server. What I can make out is that these servers are not up to date.. I then put back the original mirror files in pacman.d with all the mirros from all over the world and it works fine now.

Last edited by ravisghosh (2007-06-22 03:32:33)

#4 2007-06-22 04:52:05

ataraxia

Most mirrors update daily. If you leave just the nearby ones in, they should catch up to you soon.

#5 2007-06-22 13:14:51

ravisghosh
Website

how about running rankmirror with all the mirrors (from all over the world). That will select the fastest (and probably nearest) one anyway. Am I right.

#6 2007-06-22 13:40:20

shining
Pacman Developer

ravisghosh wrote:

how about running rankmirror with all the mirrors (from all over the world). That will select the fastest (and probably nearest) one anyway. Am I right.

I guess the main problem is that it'll take much more time, without any benefits, because the nearest mirror are generally the fastest. Am I wrong ?

Though, there are probably some regions that are not well deserved (not much mirrors, and of poor quality), in this case you might want to extend it a bit. But mirrors at the opposite of the globe are generally not very fast big_smile

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#7 2007-06-22 13:44:56

iphitus
Forum Fellow

shining wrote:
ravisghosh wrote:

I guess the main problem is that it'll take much more time, without any benefits, because the nearest mirror are generally the fastest. Am I wrong ?

Though, there are probably some regions that are not well deserved (not much mirrors, and of poor quality), in this case you might want to extend it a bit. But mirrors at the opposite of the globe are generally not very fast big_smile

you'd be surprised. Here in Australia, there's an irish mirror I get great speeds from, despite ireland being literally on the other side of the planet. Yet closer neighbors, like japan, and some south east asian countries, I get terrible speeds.

#8 2007-06-22 14:09:57

ravisghosh
Website

Does running rankmirror automatically assigns greater priority to the faster ones or it just shows which are fast and we manualy need to edit the file and place the faster mirrors before others?

#9 2007-06-22 14:13:49

shining
Pacman Developer

iphitus wrote:

you'd be surprised. Here in Australia, there's an irish mirror I get great speeds from, despite ireland being literally on the other side of the planet. Yet closer neighbors, like japan, and some south east asian countries, I get terrible speeds.

And from Australia mirrors ? smile

But well, indeed I'm still surprised, my experience and logic let me think otherwise.
How is this explained ? Awfully crap link between australia and asia ?

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#10 2007-06-24 10:20:33

dale77
Website

iphitus wrote:

My fastest mirror (from New Zealand) happens to be a UK one too...

Although currently it is saying I'm up-2-date... and I'm on pacman 3.0.4... hmm

Update: seems like that fast mirror was last updated back on the 17th June.

Last edited by dale77 (2007-06-24 10:46:04)

Board footer