You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-19 03:51:58

arew264
Website

Stream Sound Output Over Network?

This is a somewhat crazy and off-the-wall question, but heres the scenario:

I have three windows boxes and a linux box. The problem is that I have three sets of speakers, and they are very difficult to move. This leaves the linux box without speakers, but I would like to still be able to play sound on it.

Is there some way I can take the master out and stream it over the network to somehow have a client on the windows box to play the stream?
One would think that some sort of streaming server would support something like this, but I've googled it for a while and have found nothing. I basically just want to be able to play something on remote speakers, but I haven't found a solution yet.

Anyone have an idea on how to do this?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

#2 2007-06-19 09:20:50

antonik

Re: Stream Sound Output Over Network?

You should setup a shoutcast server or similiar streaming sever on your linux box then on the winows machine use winamp or similiar client to connect and play it.

You could also install samba on the linux machine and use winamp on windows to play the files.

#3 2007-06-19 18:43:00

arew264
Website

Well, its not just my ripped music, its whenever I play a youtube video, etc. It would also be handy because only two of said three speaker systems are actually 2.1 surround, and if I could stream to them, it would be cool.....
but then again, I might as well just use the windows box for everything. Whatever smile

#4 2007-06-19 23:24:54

antonik

I saw a kernel module that would redirect all sound to a network stream which could be captured by windows machines... that may be what you are looking for but I think its overkill.

You could check into NAS too. http://www.radscan.com/nas.html

Dont give up hope, it can be done, I have done it some years ago just I cant remember now...

#5 2007-06-20 03:17:09

arew264
Website

NAS seems as if it would do the job. I'll have to try it tomorrow.

The story is that I have a Klipsch 2.1 THX certified surround set, but they're connected to a HP compy with mobo problems (the mobo somehow corrupts the hard drive - it has persisted across 4 formats and reinstalls and 2 different hard drives). It's a PITA to move the speakers, and the wiring is sensitive and tends to crackle and lose the left speaker.

If I can stream audio there using a lightweight client, it will be great, as that compy takes forever to load anything. Literally forever. Four minutes to load Firefox! WOOHOO!

#6 2007-06-20 09:48:17

antonik

Tell us how it goes wink

#7 2008-01-06 06:48:36

arew264
Website

Oh gosh, I completely forgot to write the outcome on here.
I investigated NAS, but endeed up going back to the drawing board (I forgot why roll).
I ended up using Pulse Audio (http://www.pulseaudio.org/), which I started setting up... and then my brother spoiled everything by getting me a set of speakers for my birthday. Oops.

Anyway, I never got to the stage of actually employing pulseaudio, but it seems that it would work quite robustly.

Board footer