You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-25 19:04:35

punkass

New to Arch..very impressed

Just thought i would drop a note to all who create, maintain or are just active in Arch,

I installed it just 2 days ago, and so far i am very impressed, everything just works, Ive had to edit a couple of configuration files, but it was clearly stated that i would have to.
When i first came across Arch awhile ago, I read the line:

" Arch Linux is an i686-optimized linux distribution targeted at competent linux users (read: not afraid of the commandline)"

and that kinda spooked me, not knowing if i am a "conpetent linux user"   wink  so i avoided it.

Then i read the latest review at linuxlookup and well it made it sound not that "scary" so i gave it a shot, and w00t, here i am now usin Arch.
The install was easy, anything that didnt work right off the bat, i found the answer very quickly in the forums.  And pacman works like a charm, very slick.

Anyways, theres my 2cents,

Keep up the good work.

:: Happy Arch User ::

#2 2004-03-25 19:53:11

zeppelin
Website

Re: New to Arch..very impressed

Welcome punkass.
well the slogan is excellent! it somehow says to the reader: "try me, because this way you can find out if you are a competent user"
and who doesn't want to be one? tongue
so this slogan attracks people that stay satisfied with this wonderful distro and the excellent job all archers do. [form the packagers to the maintainer, from the community to the guy who started AL]

welcome again, and enjoy your stay tongue

punkass wrote:

" Arch Linux is an i686-optimized linux distribution targeted at competent linux users (read: not afraid of the commandline)"

#3 2004-03-25 20:34:48

jlowell

punkass,

Welcome to Arch!

When you're so used to graphical interfaces doing things for you, it can seem intimidating to find your way along with the command line. Once you've gotten over that hurdle, chances are good that you'll prefer the command line. It gets you into the innards in a way a GUI never can and helps you develop confidence. It's a step any competent linux user must take.

Very best regards.

jlowell

#4 2004-03-25 20:49:15

Luis Q. R.

Yes, I remember when I read one of my first manuals (recommended):

http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html

Read this chapter:

http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/node … 0000000000

The power of the terminal, for me, resides in two facts: 1) You can tell the computer anything that you want it to do. 2) You can write scripts to automate a lot of tasks in a moment. Linux is as powerful as your knowledge of it.

#5 2004-03-26 03:24:16

scottro
Website

The example I always use is a real life one from work.  A girl had misnamed over 100 files.  She thought she had to right click and rename each one.  The files were stored on a Linux server, so with a quick for loop
(the pattern was the same, each file had to have a 3. put in front of it) I did it in about a minute.

#6 2004-03-26 05:09:46

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

The real question is, how did she misname over 100 files in the first place? wink

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#7 2004-03-26 15:58:01

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Xentac wrote:

The real question is, how did she misname over 100 files in the first place? wink

The real question is "What is life?"

dp, your floor. wink

#8 2004-03-26 16:13:27

scottro
Website

Heh, well.....it's a long story, and actually wasn't her fault--originally a group of styles were given one number, then they decided to move them into a different group.  smile

Board footer