You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-20 21:53:41

thayer
Fellow
Website

Do you use these hotkeys for anything?

I'm curious to know what commands other users have bound to their notebook hotkeys (fn+whatever).  Specifically:

CRT/LCD (Presentation Mode)
Battery Status
Standby
Hibernate

If you do use any of these, please be specific as to what command you run with each.  For example, for standby you might use "sudo powersave -u"

I'd like to figure out if there's an easy way to display power info when the battery hotkey is pressed, such as the gnome-power settings.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#2 2007-06-21 14:07:46

Stalwart
Website

Re: Do you use these hotkeys for anything?

fn+fx combinations aren't ergonomic for my short fingers - i don't use them even on windows. I set acpid to suspend my lappy when closing lid

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#3 2007-06-21 15:20:41

pelle.k

As i think a good media player should live and act as well in the background as in focus (since music listening _is_ such an activity that often requires little to none visual feedback), this is such an example of when you need good shortcuts, as well as tray support.

I always bind _global_ shortcuts to amarok in kde, or bmp in gnome.
I dont bind applications to a certain shortcut. Why? I think it's an action that directly involves interacting with the application you launch, and therefore you might just as well use the mouse and a shortcut on the panel. while your at it (using your mouse that is)

Your example of showing battery status would fit my description of a non interactive activity, and i've been thinking that many people would like to customize a number of similar actions, and also feel their panel is getting crowded by these "functional elements" (rather than applications). A kickass way would be a lightweight OSD application that would react to a certain combination (if that key combination could become "standard" in both kde/gnome that would be great...) that instantly show you an overview of all configured hotkeys in a fullscreen widget, and disappear when you release that hotkey.

I would say kde applications have a very strong backend to bind hotkeys with since they sort of come for free when doing kde widgets. (almost). I would say that using dcop to show battery status in kde would probably not be too difficult by the way. Too bad dbus/gnome isn't as interactive yet.

Oh, and [OT] no need to "sudo" powersave if you're in "power" group...

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#4 2007-06-22 17:25:29

thayer
Fellow
Website

So it looks like most folks don't use their laptop hotkeys for anything then...I guess I'm in the minority.

pelle.k: thanks for the tip about the power group! I think the gnome-power-manager does support dbus messages (at least according to their website) however I just haven't figured out the exact command to output the equivalent data that appears when you left-single-click the panel-applet...not high on my list of priorities either.

Within GNOME, I've managed to enable all the multimedia volume and playback keys/buttons, as well as the eject, wifi, and standby keys.  All that remains are the battery status and hibernate hotkeys, which I can't seem to find working kernel keycodes for anyway.

I do wish more media players would support XF86 key symbols automatically though. So far only Rhythmbox appears to recognize symbols like XF86AudioPlay, but I hear that banshee can too.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

Board footer