You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-25 22:47:31

maccorin

patch for multiple packages in a single PKGBUILD

well i built the gcj package in the thread below w/ the existing makepkg, but i must say, that if arch plans on supporting more then 1-2 languages like this it's going to be a huge pain in the arse and really sloppy.

Xentac told me that it was decided that allowing multiple packages in PKGBUILD was going to make things to complicated and stray away from the simplicity of arch.  I don't think it has to though, it's perfectly possible to add a few new "features" to makepkg without breaking existing PKGBUILDS or making anything more complicated.  Granted you will need to specify what files should go in what _if_ you building multiple packages with it...

as a "proof of concept" i put together a patch to implement this functionality into makepkg, and a sample PKGBUILD that uses the functionality, i've run the new setup on quite a few "regular" PKGBUILDS to make sure it didn't break anything and have had good results.

you can view this stuff at maccorin.homelinux.org/makepkg
please read the README and PKGBUILD for a little better explanation, i think the simplicity and invisibility to other "normal" PKGBUILDS will suprise you.  I would love comments because i can see _so_ many good uses for this, i'm going to go compile gcc/g++/objc/java/f77 all at once now and put them into seperate packages with it tongue

EDIT:
it's prolly not "done", but it works as a proof of concept...

RTFM

#2 2004-03-26 01:21:43

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: patch for multiple packages in a single PKGBUILD

You're also going to want to modify gensync to support it too... for your proof.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-03-26 17:04:22

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Looks pretty good at first glance, maccorin.  Thanks for posting the code!

I'm pretty busy with impending finals right now, but I'll be taking a closer look at your patch when I get some time.

#4 2004-03-26 20:26:55

maccorin

awesome, i'm not sure where what needs to be done to gynsync excuse my ignorance sad.  I have to admit I was getting a little discouraged about this because I first built gcj w/ pacman as it stands and was told that wouldn't work, then I was told this wouldn't work (in IRC).  And got rather befuddeled as to what would.  I think i just need to lurk and figure out the arch way a bit better.  But if you want help with this or anything else i'm always available (no job).  Either PM me, or more reliably email me at maccorin@cfl.rr.com,  I use arch, but i've only used it a couple weeks (if even that long.... the days have been blurring together tongue) and I'm interested in getting involved in the development of it.  I realize I need to "prove" myself etc... but if you get some side project you guys want done let me know.  And I'll be glad to oblige.

RTFM

#5 2004-03-27 07:56:03

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Mr Green

#6 2004-10-30 16:50:13

rjs

Is there any way to get the download for this file since, the link for the download doesn't work.

I am curious to try this out.

rjs

Board footer