You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-23 06:20:08

radumash

ntfs partition created with mkntfs not recognized in windows xp

Hello,

I've recently formatted a partition to ntfs with the mkntfs tool. I want to use it for storage and to be able to share it between arch and windows xp (i dual boot). It's a logical partition in the extended partition.
Mounting it went smoothly in linux, but when I try to use it in XP it doesn't show up. In disk management, it appears healthy, active and formatted as NTFS but the option to assign a drive letter to it is grayed out.
I really hope there is a way to activate the partition in wondows, I really don't want to format it again, as I've already written data to it. It's my fault I didn't check the partition in windows before writing to it.
Please ask for more information if I have ommited anything important.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Radu

#2 2007-06-23 10:18:57

retsaw

Re: ntfs partition created with mkntfs not recognized in windows xp

It should work.  I've just created a ntfs partition with mkntfs and Windows didn't have a problem with it.  My guess is that you didn't set the partition type correctly.

Use cfdisk and change the partition type to 07 which is the code for NTFS.  It should work after that.

#3 2007-06-23 10:56:57

radumash

Re: ntfs partition created with mkntfs not recognized in windows xp

Thanks man.
It was my fault. Forgot to change the type of partition from 83 to 07 in cfdisk.

Radu.

Board footer