You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-25 05:06:06

robb_force

Looking for feedback on Daimonin PKGBUILD

The client application for this game is normally installed to the user's home directory. They call it a simple layout as it installs the executable into the data folder named daimonin_<version number>. There is a means to disable the simple layout by passing --disable-simplelayout to the configure script before compiling, however I was having some problems with the application looking for files in the directory I built the package in.

So, this is what I came up with. I install everything with the simple layout into /usr/share, then wrote a small script that copies the folder to the user's home directory on first run. This allows the application to run nicely within Arch and should allow auto updates when they become available since the user has full privileges in their home folder. I submitted this to the AUR already since it appears to work well, but I could use a second opinion or two from more experienced package builders.

# Contributor: robb_force <robb_force@holybuffalo.net>

pkgname=daimonin_client
_pkgname=daimonin
pkgver=0.9.7
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A free, open source, Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game (MMORPG)."
arch=('i686')
depends=('sdl_mixer' 'sdl_image')
license="GPL"
source=(http://downloads.sourceforge.net/${pkgname}/${pkgname}-${pkgver}.tgz \
  daimonin.sh \
  daimonin.desktop \
  daimonin.png)
url="http://www.daimonin.net/"
md5sums=('0479673dc12eed0764d95b82a68807a4'
         'ffbadf1d98b0588c11a155f816702c76'
         '48514a0a88108ca6c566f710f5383afa'
         '634d9095c16106c3478c77b888b14546')

build() {
  cd ${startdir}/src/${pkgname}-${pkgver}/make/linux
  sh ./configure --prefix=${startdir}/pkg/usr/share
  make || return 1
  make install

# Install the daimonin script and the desktop entry
  cd ${startdir}/src
  install -Dm755 ${_pkgname}.sh ${startdir}/pkg/usr/bin/${_pkgname}
  install -Dm644 ${_pkgname}.desktop ${startdir}/pkg//usr/share/applications/${_pkgname}.desktop
  install -Dm644 ${_pkgname}.png ${startdir}/pkg//usr/share/pixmaps/${_pkgname}.png
}

#2 2007-06-27 02:29:52

robb_force

Re: Looking for feedback on Daimonin PKGBUILD

I've been reviewing the pcsx2 package that [vEX] built and noticed he installed everything to /opt with game group ownership. I could install things this way with daimonin as well. It would reduce the amount of hard drive space needed, especially with multi-user systems. Daimonin writes cache files to the user's home directory, and as long as the installation folder within opt is writable for updates then I think it could work with this arrangement.

Is there a preference within the Arch community for this kind of situation?

Board footer