You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-25 16:44:36

artx

my first kernel compilation on archlinux, I need help please

hi all
this is my first post here
I arrive from debian and I use a lot also gentoo, now I try arch and I love it.
My first problem is that i want to install a kernel but with pkg but I dont know the functions of this system, is new for me.
I want to use the kernel with fallen patch, I find in aur the pkgbuild, but this compile automatically the kernel and it copy on /usr/src/ the headers and not the source.
It possible to create a pkg that put only the source in usr/src and after is possible to compile the kernel with pkg os is bettere the original linux way?
And the modules like ipw3945 and fglrx i must recompile manually? there is not a ipw3945-source like in debian?
can you explaine me please?
Thank you

#2 2007-06-25 20:28:53

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: my first kernel compilation on archlinux, I need help please

It is recommended that all software on an Arch system is installed by pacman. In the case of AUR packages such as the fallen kernel, this means using makepkg to create an Arch package, and pacman to install it.

Arch binary packages, including kernel packages, do not install the full source code anywhere - we install the minimum required to run and build against the application in question. If you build a package using makepkg, you obviously download the necessary source code during the build, and it is cached on your system according to the parameters set in makepkg.conf.

It would be possible to create an Arch package that installs source code in /usr/src, and subsequently build your kernel in "the original linux way". I don't understand why that would be necessary, but if you feel it is, go ahead.

Finally, in case it wasn't clear, all of the above applies to kernels, out-of-tree modules such as ipw3945 etc, and any other application you would like to see on your Arch system.

#3 2007-06-25 22:35:39

Sigi

FYI: Linky

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#4 2007-06-26 17:19:11

artx

thankyou
I try to use ABS, but if I don't arrive I proced with the linux way
I love arch and i love linux also because the kernel is separatly from the rest of the system

Board footer