You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-26 19:04:01

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Arch Incoming Register - database

<b>Arch Incoming Register</b> is open for all Archers to list user contributed packages. To manage and also to follow up packages to Trust User Repos. Here also Archers can check what other packages are available beside Current and Extra.

The database operates in a Wiki style where users can freely add, edit, move and remove package names. The packages are divided in categories, type of package, and name of the Trust User maintaining packages considering for final approval for Arch Linux official repo.

Its still in an experimental stage to have an idea if useful and will remain in my server until then.
http://bliss-solutions.org/archlinux/incoming/index.php

Markku

#2 2004-03-27 12:01:37

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Arch Incoming Register - database

Thanks for suggestions I received. The navigation, home page and pkg info links, and other suggestions are all added..... the package counting (incoming, tur, and total) will also come smile

What is missing is to get every package contributor (both old and new) to update the information..... home and pkg info links, username of contributor, category, etc.

<b>When posting a new package in Forum also add in the Register!!!</b>

<b>Remark:</b> All packages may not move to Extra. But keep in mind the pkg info link (PKGBUILD posted in the Forum) is important for further upgrade if any package remain in incoming.

Markku

#3 2004-04-21 07:27:44

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

With the help of the users, all incoming packages are now entered in AIR. New entries are updated as per new packages are submitted by the authors or myself having a script checking for new packages as well for any changes (pkgs moved to TUR or shifted among TUR). The latest update are shown in "View TU Packages Update".

Main addition to AIR is the <b>Type of Application</b>. Here users can list a specific application beside the major category list. Example a list of available Archiving, Database, Messenger or Palm applications. There are about 50 types and more will be added as per requirement.

Once again, thanks for the input.

Markku

#4 2004-04-21 12:30:37

scottro
Website

Hrm, I don't see my xbuffy or aterm_ja in there.  However, using ncftp and going to incoming, I see they are still there.  What am I missing?

#5 2004-04-21 13:13:53

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

scottro wrote:

Hrm, I don't see my xbuffy or aterm_ja in there.  However, using ncftp and going to incoming, I see they are still there.  What am I missing?

I cannot find them in incoming nor in TUR:
ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/incoming
ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/tur/

Markku

#6 2004-04-21 15:32:34

scottro
Website

Connecting to archlinux.org...                                                  
ProFTPD 1.2.9 Server (ArchLinux) [archlinux.org]
Logging in...                                                                   
Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply.
Logged in to archlinux.org.                                                     
ncftp / > cd incoming
ncftp /incoming > ls ate*
aterm_ja.tar.bz2
ncftp /incoming > ls xbu*
xbuffy.tar.bz2
ncftp /incoming > 

<shrug>
They seem to be there, however, when I go to the ftp site through a web browser, I don't see them.

Curiouser and curiouser.  smile

#7 2004-04-21 15:45:17

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

archlinux.org and ftp.archlinux.org are two different things.  You want them on ftp.archlinux.org.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#8 2004-04-21 16:04:55

scottro
Website

heh, that would explain it.

Ok, it's done

#9 2004-12-12 14:14:10

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

I have updated all incoming and TUR changes in AIR.  If packages are missing, most likely are when there were many with no standard pkg name or package info in the forum, please add them.

Markku

#10 2004-12-12 14:47:04

i3839

I'm lost what the current more or less official way to contribute packages is, from what I understood it's something like this now?

1) Post a message on the forum with the pkgbuild.

2) Upload the package to the incomming ftp.

3) Register the package with AIR.

Is that correct or am I way off?

#11 2004-12-12 15:28:31

lanrat

i3839 wrote:

1) Post a message on the forum with the pkgbuild.

You can also post pkgbuilds to the tur-users mailing list.

i3839 wrote:

AFAIK this is only creating more mess now. Looks like incoming is ignored by most people now.

i3839 wrote:

3) Register the package with AIR.

Theoretically it's possible to register only pkgbuild (without binary package) in AIR except for the last two options in its register form. They assume there is a binary package somewhere (type of package, name of trusted user - I mean "leave blank for incoming").
There are at least two sources of pkgbuilds and packages that are not on this list. First is the forum (only pkgbuild) or some other "private" webpage. Second is a "private" repo outside any of the official and unoffical repos (like phrakture or neotuli IIRC).

Adding these options would make the word "incoming" (in AIR) more separate from the arch ftp incoming directory. It would also make AIR  a temporary solution for registering packages and pkgbuilds until the new official system is ready (with voting and all other things).

#12 2004-12-12 16:46:28

ravster
Website

i3839 wrote:

Or you could ask the developer of the package to host them with the sources and all, if you can not host them in a private repository. This is what I have been doing with the amsn package. Just ask the developers to host it alongwith the sources, they shouldn't have a problem with it. At the moment all the amsn dev has done is add me to sourceforge, and uploading and everything is being handled by me.

#13 2004-12-13 17:20:19

i3839

lanrat wrote:

It would also make AIR  a temporary solution for registering packages and pkgbuilds until the new official system is ready (with voting and all other things).

Hm, I'll wait for the official system then.

#14 2004-12-14 08:02:20

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

i3839 wrote:

Hm, I'll wait for the official system then.

There are few things we need to take in consideration.

We may consider AIR as temporary, but it has been there since 8 months. The official system (AUR) may or may not come. I am positive it does, but who will feed the 500 incoming packages in AUR? Many will not work but still it requires to check them.

AIR count:
Total: 874 (Incoming: 442, Trust User Repo: 343, moved to Extra: 89)

I assume, AUR will start either form scratch or with TUR packages. What happens with the rest? Stay in AIR as they have been so far wink... the purpose of AIR at first place..... to have an idea what packages are available beside official and where currently they are located.

PS.
Both AIR and AUR use mysql, they can always share the data.

Markku

#15 2004-12-15 10:20:36

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

lanrat wrote:

There are at least two sources of pkgbuilds and packages that are not on this list. First is the forum (only pkgbuild) or some other "private" webpage. Second is a "private" repo outside any of the official and unoffical repos (like phrakture or neotuli IIRC).

I have added a new category for private user repositories (PUR), including all availablle PKGBUILDs. Few of the PURs' have only tar packages, were not able to add without pkg details.

Total: 950 [ Incoming: 439 - Trust User Repo: 343 - Private User Repo: 79 - Moved to Current/Extra: 89 ]

Markku

#16 2004-12-15 11:46:27

Bjørn
Website

rasat wrote:

We may consider AIR as temporary, but it has been there since 8 months. The official system (AUR) may or may not come. I am positive it does, but who will feed the 500 incoming packages in AUR? Many will not work but still it requires to check them.

I for one would love to help, but do not have a lot of time to spare. For now I'm simply contributing the PKGBUILDs I've made to the forum, and don't bother uploading the package anywhere. I'm not really interested in becoming a trusted user, rather I think we should have all users be trusted in a way that they can still be checked by administrators but that they are also able to contribute in cleaning, updating and checking all these packages (see the connection with a Wiki?). The forum doesn't allow this to be done in any convenient way, but will the new packaging system?

http://themanaworld.org/
A Free Real-time Massively Multiplayer Online RPG in development.

#17 2004-12-16 00:21:09

kleptophobiac

I tried to add my package, lirc, but it says that it already exists (no.... I don't see it in incoming, the only two files relating to lirc there are "mine")

The file referenced in AIR isn't a complete lirc, and is only used for xmms support.

#18 2004-12-16 02:54:05

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

kleptophobiac wrote:

The file referenced in AIR isn't a complete lirc, and is only used for xmms support.

The lirc in AIR is linked to Abaddon's post:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=6393

If you have a complete PKGBUILD, post it in the same topic, or add the url in AIR, lirc's "Remark" field.
http://bliss-solutions.org/archlinux/in … php?id=953

Markku

Board footer