You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-27 16:34:00

cjnodell

Starting Beryl Upon Login

Hey all. I am new to arch, and having a good time with it. I have managed to get things the way i want, mostly. I am running GDM + Gnome and am using Beryl with XGL and fglrx. Everything looks and works great. Mostly. I cant get beryl to start automatically when I login. I have tried to add beryl-manager to System > Preferences > Sessions but every time i restart X or the computer the entry is gone and Gnome starts with no window manager. I can easily fix this by opening a terminal and starting beryl-manager, but it is annoying having to do so each time i login.

I was hoping that you guys might know how to fix it. Is there a config file somewhere that i can add beryl-manager to and have it start when i login? I tried to search the forums, but couldn't find a post related to this before. thanks in advance for any help.

Charles

#2 2007-06-27 17:41:38

Kasdeva

Re: Starting Beryl Upon Login

# vi /usr/bin/gnome-wm

At the top of the script add a line :

WINDOW_MANAGER=beryl

Or (Ugly and will break when metacity gets upgraded)

# cd /usr/bin
# mv metacity metacity.dead
# ln -s beryl metacity

Or

# Vi /etc/profile

add

WINDOW_MANAGER=beryl
export WINDOW_MANAGER

to the end somewhere

or

vi /etc/profile.d/beryl.sh
add
WINDOW_MANAGER=beryl
export WINDOW_MANAGER

chmod +x /etc/profile.d/beryl.sh

I like the last method best.

#3 2007-06-29 04:59:31

cjnodell

Thanks for the response!

I tried all of the options (except for replacing metacity with a link to beryl) and nothing has worked yet. It seems that System > Preferences > Sessions writes to a config file called ~/.gnome2/session-manual. When I use System > Preferences > Sessions it does not create this file. I tried to create it myself, but when I restart X or reboot ~/.gnome2/session-manual is gone. I changed the permissions to read only and it still disappears.

The funny thing is that gnome now starts without beryl or metacity. There is no window manager. I have to start one manually via the command prompt. If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear it. I fear that I might just have to re-install arch. I have put so much work into it that I am kind of hoping that something might reveal itself. Thanks!

Charles

#4 2007-06-29 16:29:20

Mefju

Thanks for a great tip. I made /etc/profile.d/beryl.sh file as you suggested and now gnome starts a lot faster. I have to add entry for heliodor to System > Preferences > Sessions, because beryl started without decorator. And now I have conky on all desktops without session saving.

#5 2007-11-14 16:55:59

mehldutt

Is there an equivalent with compiz-fusion?

I tryed with:

WINDOW_MANAGER=compiz

but then compiz "forgets" its settings.

Last edited by mehldutt (2007-11-14 16:58:49)

Board footer