You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-30 20:17:47

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

[SOLVED]How to set pen tablet device to /dev/input/wacom?

Hi all,
I've just successfully installed the wacom drivers, so my pen tablet (Wacom Volito2) now works perfectly.
However I have a quite annoying problem: the device assigned to it changes every time from event to event in /dev/input/evenX. This creates problems in starting up my X server, since at every reboot the device is on a different location, and the settings in xorg.conf don't match anymore.

When I was on Ubuntu I remember that the Wacom device was located at /dev/input/wacom, is it possible to do the same here? That way I would never have problems. I actually don't know how that was achieved on Ubuntu since everything was automatically generated in the installation.
For the time being I am forced to comment out all the tablet entries every time I reboot, which is quite annoying.

Any help is greatly appreciated smile

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by finferflu (2007-09-25 21:00:54)

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#2 2007-06-30 20:38:25

pauldonnelly

Re: [SOLVED]How to set pen tablet device to /dev/input/wacom?

Yes, write yourself a udev rule. Something like the following should do it, although you'll need to change it to match your Wacom tablet, as this rule was for an Aiptek tablet.

BUS=="usb", KERNEL=="event*", SYSFS{product}=="USB Tablet Series Version 1.04", SYMLINK="tablet", MODE="0664"

#3 2007-06-30 20:41:02

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Thanks a lot!
How do I find what I need to insert for my Volito2? Is there a way to find out? Also, which entries would I need to change (I suppose it's only the SYSFS one)?

Thank you smile

Last edited by finferflu (2007-06-30 20:42:31)

Have you Syued today?

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#4 2007-07-02 00:52:21

pauldonnelly

Yes, just the SYSFS entry, although you should also change "tablet" to "input/wacom". You can probably find what you need by looking at /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb?/product.

#5 2007-09-25 21:00:25

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Well, it took me *some* time to get around to work on this, but I succeeded at my first attempt (amazing!), so here is my udev rule (I have followed partly pauldonnelly's suggestion and partly the wiki):

BUS=="usb", KERNEL=="event*", ATTRS{product}=="CTF-420 V2.0-0", SYMLINK+="tablet", MODE="0664"

Then I have configured my xorg.conf to look for the device on /dev/tablet.
I will put a SOLVED sign on this thread.
Thanks again, pauldonnelly smile

Have you Syued today?

Board footer