#1 2007-07-01 04:07:27

JaDa
Website

#2 2007-07-01 08:38:10

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [wiki] HCL Hardware Compatibility List

Er.....why have our own?  It's not as if the kernel that Arch uses is not the same as the kernel every other distro uses.  I think it would be better to encourage people to contribute to a more established HCL, like this one:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/

#3 2007-07-01 21:43:09

JaDa
Website

dtw wrote:

Er.....why have our own?  It's not as if the kernel that Arch uses is not the same as the kernel every other distro uses.  I think it would be better to encourage people to contribute to a more established HCL, like this one:

I good distrobution need also a good wiki.

What brought Users to Linux! For me it was years ago the two handbooks (User Guide & Admin Guide) from Suse. With out this doku I never have start with Linux.

linux questions is a seperated project. It is like you go in a xy forum and "write" the yz is better, you can also say use the gentoo wiki. This is not the answer, this is maybe a option wink

openSUSE
Arch Linux
USALUG

#4 2007-07-01 23:56:36

slackhack

why reinvent the wheel? i agree with dtw, the linuxquestions HCL is already well established, so why not just contribute there. hardware isn't arch specific, so it doesn't need to be in the arch wiki, imo.

#5 2007-07-02 07:48:01

JaDa
Website

slackhack wrote:

why reinvent the wheel? i agree with dtw, the linuxquestions HCL is already well established, so why not just contribute there. hardware isn't arch specific, so it doesn't need to be in the arch wiki, imo.

Does it tell you if it works with Linux or not?
http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showp … 02&cat=all

It nice that you guys sponsoring this website, i have also a account there. But honestly, I prefer the http://usalug.org  wink

But I think this is the problem in the commudity. blame, flame and talking to much.........

and now the differant
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HCL/Laptops/Dell

or

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HCL/Laptops/Toshiba

Last edited by JaDa (2007-07-02 07:49:48)

openSUSE
Arch Linux
USALUG

#6 2007-07-02 08:25:29

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

JaDa wrote:

But I think this is the problem in the commudity. blame, flame and talking to much.........

That's funny.  I'd say the main problem with the OSS community was duplication of effort and individual desire to do things "your way", rather than working with what is aleady in place.

Good luck with your wiki page, I'm sure it will be much better than a searchable database with thousands of entries that is kept constantly up to date by a community of thousands.

#7 2007-07-02 08:41:35

JaDa
Website

dtw wrote:

Good luck with your wiki page, I'm sure it will be much better than a searchable database with thousands of entries that is kept constantly up to date by a community of thousands.

Thank you big_smile

I take my motivation from the (xyz)buntu & gentoo community, there doku's I find are the best.

and with out the Arch WIKI in never have get Arch running. So I give the WIKI something back wink

openSUSE
Arch Linux
USALUG

#8 2007-07-05 13:32:30

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Just one note about this - the "Arch Release" column makes very little sense, since those aren't releases, they're just install CDs.  It might be better to call it "Install CD Version" to prevent confusion - afaik you could download the 0.1 install CD and update it to the same system you'd get with the 2007.05 install CD (although there might be a few bumps along the way if you weren't sure of what you were doing... udev/initcpio and all that, heh)

#9 2007-07-06 03:42:52

JaDa
Website

Cerebral wrote:

It might be better to call it "Install CD Version" to prevent confusion - afaik you could download the 0.1 install CD and update it to the same system you'd get with the 2007.05 install CD (although there might be a few bumps along the way if you weren't sure of what you were doing... udev/initcpio and all that, heh)

You are right smile I am going to change it soon wink

openSUSE
Arch Linux
USALUG

Board footer