You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-04 11:23:26

jerek

mouse and keyboard woes [solved]

I've been using Arch Linux for about a month now and I'm loving it so far. But I still got 2 little problems with my laptop which keep it from running perfectly.

First of all the keyboard randomly stops working, but only for single programs. That can be remedied by restarting said programs, but it's still annoying. This problem first occured a couple of days ago.
Might be related to the new kernel I compiled a while ago (2.6.22-rc6 + hpet + suspend), but since I used the old config file for most settings I don't know where to start looking. I checked all the logfiles I could find and don't see any errors when it happens.

Second problem is regarding my USB Mouse. After rebooting the PC everything is fine at first, but after a while the mouse starts lagging, BUT only when there is no load on the cpu, which seems rather weird to me. When for example KTorrent is running (which uses a few % of the cpu all the time) everythings fine.
Restarting any daemons or X doesn't help, only a complete reboot.

If anyone got an idea what might be wrong I'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Last edited by jerek (2007-07-08 10:06:49)

#2 2007-07-04 13:10:08

klixon

Re: mouse and keyboard woes [solved]

The problem with the mouse sounds like a problem with either cpu frequency scaling or dynticks, but i could be dead wrong there...

You could try disabling those features in your .config, recompile, reboot and see what happens.
If it helps, enable one of both, recompile, reboot. Then enable only the other...

If the problem is present with one of those option enabled, but absent with both disabled, you've got a nice bugreport,
If it's only present when both are enabled, you've got a different bugreport wink

Or try disabling hpet.

PS: Assuming you've got the willpower and time to go through this hell of course wink It would be good info if something comes out of it. Have you check kernel-bugzilla?

Last edited by klixon (2007-07-04 13:12:39)

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#3 2007-07-05 12:14:51

jerek

Thanks for your suggestions, klixon.
I recompiled a vanilla 2.6.22-rc7 kernel (without hpet) and the problem regarding the mouse pretty much disappeared. I think there's still some very slight mouse lag, but that might be my imagination. Overall it's definitely much better.

The keyboard still stops working sometimes though. Any suggestions regarding this are appreciated.

Cheers

#4 2007-07-08 10:06:32

jerek

I managed to solve the problem.
For some reason xim died randomly and because of that no more keyboard input for that application was possible (I'm using scim for japanese input, had been using xim for QT apps).
After recompiling qt with the immodule patch I'm now using scim for qt apps as well and everything works great.

Cheers

Board footer