You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-06 04:07:58

Back2Cali

Patches for ALSA to use it on a Thinkpad T61

Hi!

I got myself a brand new T61 just a couple of days ago and installed Arch64 on it. Unfortunately some things wouldn't work without patches as I read at thinkwiki. One of the things that won't work is the current alsa. After searching I found three patches for the 1.0.14 version of alsa: http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Ub … lved.21.29
Is it possible to include those? In order to get things working where do I have to apply the patches to? alsa-lib or alsa-oss or anywhere else? I'm not quite sure about it but having the sound card running is kinda improtant for me since I use to work a lot with soundapplications lately.

Maybe somebody can tell me what I have to do in order to apply these patches correctly and make alsa work! Thanks!

#2 2007-07-10 04:10:57

Back2Cali

Re: Patches for ALSA to use it on a Thinkpad T61

Checked out the current 2.6.22 Kernel in testing today. But it still didn't work. Can anyone tell me what to do in order to apply the patches from above and make the soundcard work. I really need it and don't know where and how to apply these patches. Can anyon ehelp, please!

Thanks!

#3 2007-07-16 01:02:49

efleming969

Hope you gotten your sound to work.  I've been using Arch32 with better luck.  The 2.6.22 kernel and alsa drivers from testing work fine.

I was also able to apply the patch by simply compiling the alsa driver straight from their source.

#4 2007-07-16 02:51:45

Back2Cali

Yep, it worked even without patching. But since I messed up with kmix it didn't work. So after redoing the settings in alsamixer the speakers worked. (Never trust a GUI... hehehe).... Unfortunately there are several problems still existing with the sound. I can listen to music etc. but I can't record anything from the mic. However as soon as I start Twinkle the speakers won't work anymore but the mic works. Skype generally tells me that the sound device cannot be accessed and either the speakers will work nor the microphone. So I still don't have a clue what to do in order to have bouth working, the speakers and the mic. Also when using my headset behaved the same way (I can separately disable the built in mic and the headset mic, but the result is the same like described above).
So right now, I have no idea what to do other than wait for the next alsa release.... BTW. it reminds me on my tactics with the (k)networkmanager which refuses to work with the new wireless mac80211 stack. I can see the networks, but cannot connect through knetworkmanager.... I guess I have to wait also for the alsa drivers now.... :-(

Thanks!

#5 2007-07-16 15:10:00

print

Hi, thinking about buying one of these myself. Any idea, you two, how the wireless works? Also, were you able to convince Lenovo to sell you a system with no pre-loaded OS? I can't stand the idea of paying for Microsoft.

Thanks!

% whereis whatis whence which whoami whois who

#6 2007-07-16 22:28:44

Back2Cali

The wireless (Intel 4965abn) works very good with their drivers from intellinuxwireless.org. There are packages ready in testing. But you need to user the 2.6.22 kernel also from testing since this will be the first kernel supporting the new wireless stack. After that it works like a charm.
For the preinstalled Windows I can only tell you to pick the cheapest one. I asked myself to not have one at all, but they will not du that. So the only thing you can do it getting the cheapest and deal with it.... ;-)

Board footer