You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-06 17:00:25

somedrew

wifi-radar: daemon issue

Allos,
I've just got a wireless network set up (intel ipw3945, WPA) and working nicely if I start up wifi-radar manually.
I'd like to start wifi-radar daemonized on boot, have added 'wifi-radar -d &' to /etc/rc.local, and have edited /etc/conf.d/wifi-radar to default to my network

[DEFAULT]
ifup_required = True
auto_profile_order = <my SSID>
speak_up = False
scan_timeout = 5
interface = eth2
commit_required = False

[<my SSID>]
prescript = 
use_wpa = yes
postscript = 
mode = 
key = 
use_dhcp = yes
security = 
wpa_driver = wext
channel =

When daemonized, however, wifi-radar will not connect to the network (not even pulling a 169.x.x.x) and it looks like eth2 isn't up. It's a little strange because at times, it will connect to a different, open network (only ~20% of the time). I believe my wpa_supplicant config is alright because there are no problems connecting if I start up wifi-radar manually.

I changed wifi-radar's config require an ifup on the device and have read through all the documentation I could find.
Can anyone give me some pointers at all?

NOTE: I've tried networkmanager, but it appears to have some issues with the ipw3945 from doing some searching. Open connections work alright, but I could never get it to connect to a secured network. I wouldn't mind using networkmanager instead, but it seems like a hit and miss for this card with different people.

cheers,

Last edited by somedrew (2007-07-06 17:00:49)

#2 2007-07-06 17:27:39

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: wifi-radar: daemon issue

There should be a wifi-radar daemon in /etc/rc.d - you can add that to DAEMONS in rc.conf.

tbh I have found Arch's builtin network support to be far better for wireless than network-manager and whiffy-radar

#3 2007-07-07 06:43:48

somedrew

Thanks smile, missed the script in rc.d...
Still the same symptoms though, I need to restart wifi-radar manually to grab an ip.
It's probably best to go the default Arch route, and to use wifi-radar to connect to new networks only when needed.

#4 2007-07-07 12:01:41

Gullible Jones

dtw wrote:

There should be a wifi-radar daemon in /etc/rc.d - you can add that to DAEMONS in rc.conf.

tbh I have found Arch's builtin network support to be far better for wireless than network-manager and whiffy-radar

Out of curiousity... what built-in network support? So far I've been using networkmanager and am happy with it, but I've noticed that the network script takes forever to load if you're disconnected from ethernet, has to be reloaded when your connection status changes, etc. Could you tell me a bit more about this?

#5 2007-07-11 08:22:07

somedrew

Just in case anyone runs into a similar problem: My SSID was not being broadcast and once I stopped hiding it wifi-radar worked like a charm. Not really sure why that should only cause a problem with it daemonized, but I'm too tired of trying to figure out why.

dtw wrote:

The builtin support is great, but I'll be needing to use network-profiles and I was having problems with wpa_supplicant. I wonder if it may have anything to do with hiding the SSID...I'll play around with it once I get the chance. Thanks

Just a little trick that may help some people: connecting to the network using netcfg always failed, but didn't yeild a very descriptive explanation for why.  Manually restarting the network daemon provides much more verbose error messages if one of the profiles is set to start automatically.

Gullible Jones wrote:

Out of curiousity... what built-in network support? So far I've been using networkmanager and am happy with it, but I've noticed that the network script takes forever to load if you're disconnected from ethernet, has to be reloaded when your connection status changes, etc. Could you tell me a bit more about this?

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wir … k_settings
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wir … k_Profiles

cheers,

Board footer