You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-08 08:48:16

ristretto

[SOLVED] Audacious: Failed to assign socket Permission denied

I wasn't expecting this, and I'm quite confused.  Have searched a bunch, and see nothing like it anywhere.  I do fear it will be the result of a noob mistake.  Please forgive me....

I installed audacious like this

(auser) $ sudo pacman -Sy audacious-player audacious-plugins

Perhaps sudo is not a good idea. hmm

When I try to start it from within an aterm inside of a fluxbox/X session....

$ audacious -mN
audacious: cannot open display: 
Try `audacious --help' for more information.

If I don't include the -mN it quits silently. 

Any ideas?  Thanks!!!

Oh I should say that the subject comes from a test in which I specified the --display flag to audacious.

OK, more detail ....

I did pacman -Syyu because I read it might help.  I the meantime I noticed my /tmp dir didn't have the right permissions.  But, after the pacman command above, /tmp seemed to be fixed up.  So, I tried audacious again... with mixed success.

[gbc@pelicano ~]$ audacious

[gbc@pelicano ~]$ audacious -mN
[gbc@pelicano ~]$ audacious -mN --display=0:0
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/Output/libjackout.so): libjack.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/Output/libarts.so): libartsc.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/General/liblirc.so): liblirc_client.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/General/libscrobbler.so): libcurl.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/General/libcurl.so): libcurl.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/Visualization/libparanormal.so): libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/Visualization/libprojectm.so): libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/Visualization/librovascope.so): libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** (audacious:13761): CRITICAL **: playlistwin_update_list: assertion `playlistwin_list' failed
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/gbc/.config/audacious/playlist.xspf"

Well, it seems to be starting now.  I works if I launch it from the fluxbox with the command /usr/bin/audacious. 

I suppose I'll call this SOLVED.  But, I don't feel very good about it.

Last edited by ristretto (2007-07-08 09:33:36)

#2 2007-07-08 18:14:13

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Audacious: Failed to assign socket Permission denied

what's your DISPLAY environment variable set at when you run audacious?  echo $DISPLAY

(btw, those failed-to-load-plugin messages are normal if you don't need those particular plugins)

#3 2007-07-08 22:03:30

ristretto

ah, I checked my old install system (gentoo)

$ echo $DISPLAY
:0.0

on this new ARCH install

$ echo $DISPLAY

$

#4 2007-07-08 23:01:39

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Yeah - that's odd it isn't getting set - how are you starting your x-server? I just run startx from the command prompt and my DISPLAY variable is set as expected in any term I spawn from the desktop.

#5 2007-07-08 23:43:39

ristretto

startx -> .xinitrc which calls startfluxbox

should pacman -S xorg have set this up?  or should I have done so manually?  or?

#6 2007-07-09 00:02:47

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Hm - I thought X automatically did that, but I just noticed that I have

export DISPLAY=:0.0

in my .bashrc.   Try sticking it there.

Last edited by Cerebral (2007-07-09 00:03:13)

#7 2007-07-09 00:21:28

ristretto

Yeah, that does it.  [DOUBLE SOLVED]  smile

but, why should I have to do that when building up xorg on ARCH?  is that bug
in the xorg package may be?  (i don't know much about the arch packaging system yet)
Perhaps the package is correct, in which case a note about it should be added to the wiki, me thinks?

Board footer