You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-09 15:34:49

fede

vlc - different behaviour of binary package vs abs deflt options

Hello,

Is it normal that a local compile of vlc from abs sources with default options behaves different from the binary package installed via pacman -S from official repos (using archlinux.org)?
I thought that the binary packages should behave the same as the ones compiled from abs sources if one didn't change any options.
I ask this because I had a problem with vlc not displaying video (sound worked), and it surprised me to find out that the package I compiled using abs sources solves the problem. Didn't change a thing - just issued

cp /var/abs/extra/multimedia/vlc /var/abs/local -r
cd /var/abs/local/vlc
makepkg
pacman -U vlc<...>

and it worked, without changing anyting. I found this strange: shouldn't my package have been the same as the one installed from repos via pacman -S?

EDIT: more info: I've found that both versions differ in this respect:
using local compiled version:

[fede@pharalos ~]$ vlc -vvv --color --no-plugins-cache --list |grep ffmpeg
VLC media player 0.8.6c Janus
[00000001] main private debug: checking builtin modules
[00000001] main private debug: checking plugin modules
[00000001] main private debug: recursively browsing `modules'
[00000001] main private debug: recursively browsing `/usr/lib/vlc'
[00000001] main private warning: cannot load module `/usr/lib/vlc/codec/libquicktime_plugin.so' (/usr/lib/vlc/codec/libquicktime_plugin.so: undefined symbol: NewHandleClear)
[00000001] main private debug: recursively browsing `plugins'
[00000001] main private debug: module bank initialized, found 219 modules
  ffmpeg                FFmpeg audio/video decoder/encoder ((MS)MPEG4,SVQ1,H263,WMV,WMA)
  ffmpeg                FFmpeg chroma conversion
  ffmpeg                FFmpeg audio/video encoder
  ffmpeg                FFmpeg demuxer
  ffmpeg                FFmpeg muxer
  ffmpeg                FFmpeg video filter
  ffmpeg                FFmpeg crop padd filter
  ffmpeg                FFmpeg deinterlace video filter

Using official repo version:

[fede@pharalos ~]$ vlc -vvv --color --no-plugins-cache --list |grep ffmpeg
VLC media player 0.8.6c Janus
[00000001] main private debug: checking builtin modules
[00000001] main private debug: checking plugin modules
[00000001] main private debug: recursively browsing `modules'
[00000001] main private debug: recursively browsing `/usr/lib/vlc'
[00000001] main private warning: cannot load module `/usr/lib/vlc/stream_out/libstream_out_switcher_plugin.so' (libamrnb.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
[00000001] main private warning: cannot load module `/usr/lib/vlc/codec/libffmpeg_plugin.so' (libamrnb.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
[00000001] main private warning: cannot load module `/usr/lib/vlc/codec/libquicktime_plugin.so' (/usr/lib/vlc/codec/libquicktime_plugin.so: undefined symbol: NewHandleClear)
[00000001] main private debug: recursively browsing `plugins'
[00000001] main private debug: module bank initialized, found 217 modules

Thanks for helping me out of the darkness!

Last edited by fede (2007-07-09 15:45:54)

#2 2007-07-10 04:20:48

gradgrind

Re: vlc - different behaviour of binary package vs abs deflt options

It looks like one of those ffmpeg compatibility problems that seem to crop up from time to time. As arch uses a rolling release system it can well be that packages in the repositories are compiled against older versions of libraries which have subsequently been updated. Normally this is no problem because the library versions are binary compatible, but occasionally there are incompatibilities and you get problems like you have experienced. ffmpeg seems to be quite a common culprit.
If you discover such a problem (with the latest repository package versions), you should report a bug so that the developers can recompile the affected applications.

Board footer