You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-29 09:49:37

karacus

Finally it's the one!!

Hello everyone!

I am new to AL and Wow what a gem. 

Install AL a week ago and after trying out so many distro's to find the right one,  this is it. I am really impress by AL, very good thing since I was running out of distro's worth trying. LOL
It makes my 700 athlon screem, like I have a new puter got to love that.
My permanent distro's as been freebsd and debian for the last 2 years and had a chunk on my HD just to try different distro's as I plug away with debian. Always been looking for something better to keep up to date and debian can be a pain once you move of stable and start mixing unstable and testing, apt-get dist-upgrade big-pain-sometime roll
This past weekend I made the decision and clean all my hd's and run only AL on my desktop, one more to change and that is my laptop freebsd but I dread to do the change since the laptop I have is a pain to install a new distro, it's pretty old. Heck it took about 12 hours to install. I need a new laptop anyway maybe I will wait and install AL on the new one since my old one is on the borderline to run AL.

Well enough babling, I just wanted to say thanks to all that are involved with AL keep up the good work you have a sweet distro and made me very happy.
Time to go play with this pacman thingy  8)

best regard
karacus

#2 2004-03-30 00:03:03

tehdely
Website

Re: Finally it's the one!!

This thread makes me happy, as I felt the exact same way when I discovered this very fine distro.

Welcome to Arch smile

[Arch GNUstep Repository] [ PKGBUILDS ]
[code][gnustep]
Server = ftp://blkwidow.lerp.com/pub/mirror/arch/gnustep[/code]

#3 2004-03-30 19:15:16

filoktetes

Likewise smile

#4 2004-04-01 08:03:59

Olli

Heya,

I'm also new to AL, and I can absolutely agree! I've been using Debian and Gentoo before and where Debian is just not as snappy (i386) and Gentoo just takes too long to install and is time consuming in maintainance (compiling locally just takes too long), I find the perfect balance in AL! Awesome stuff guys big_smile

DIY: Doom-It-Yourself

#5 2004-04-02 02:33:27

blitze

I concure, tried REdhat and Debian but stumbled onto Arch, learned a few things and am enjoying a decent desktop experience especially after WinXP which I'm considering throwing away.

Thinking how to re-organise my 30gig hard drive and was thinking

5 gig for a Win2K partition Fat32
10 gig for a user home partition (mine) but as Fat32
1 gig Linux Swap partition
4 gig AL base install partition ReiserFS
10 gig /opt partition ReiserFS

This will alow me to use the home partition for music (Oggs of my CD's, downloads, and files)
The Win2K partition will be mainly for working under Wine but I can still access unsucessful programs if need be and the rest dedicated to AL  lol

The home partition will be augmented at some stage with a USB2 External Hard Drive but not in the imediate future.
Mainly need to try and get CubaseSX running under Wine and Il2 FB running under WineX which has sopposedly been done with the recent 3.3 version.  Then I'll be really happy.

Arch is a gem and so is the community.

Leave ones footprint not in the physical world but the in the world of the mind.

#6 2004-04-03 07:43:46

karacus

Thanks for the welcome gents. Nice to see a relax forum, I find to many zealot's and "other's no word to describe" out there and getting tired of it. Maybe it's because I'm getting old roll .
Arch gives me everything I want and then some LOL.  I just wish I would of foud it earlier.

One thing that impress me was the lack of documents, good thing since most distro's pack a gazillion documents all over the system and the worst part most of the docs are out of date totally useless and space eater. Better to go online and get the latest docs works for me.

Yup pacman rocks. 
Can't say it enough A BIG THANK-YOU ARCH TEAM

best regard
karacus

Board footer