You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-13 01:44:42

Thrillhouse

Frets On Fire

I love Guitar Hero and wanted to check this out.  I successfully installed it using aurbuild but when I try to run it I get this error:

open /dev/sequencer: No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/skyostil/src/cx_Freeze-3.0.3/initscripts/Console.py", line 27, in ?
  File "src/FretsOnFire.py", line 64, in ?
  File "src/GameEngine.py", line 155, in __init__
  File "src/Video.py", line 68, in setMode
pygame.error: Couldn't find matching GLX visual

Do I need 3D acceleration to run this game and if so, how would I go about getting that?  I'm currently using the ati driver and have Load "glx" as a module in xorg.conf.

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

#2 2007-07-13 04:58:17

Acid7711
Website

Re: Frets On Fire

Ahhhhh so many problems with this game....  I haven't tried it in forever simply for that reason.  Basically, if glxgears or glxinfo works, you already have acceleration.    And yes, you do need 3d acceleration for it.

#3 2007-07-15 04:58:00

detox332

need to set default to 24 in xorg.conf, great game, really fun!

Arch64
KDE4 user

#4 2007-07-15 06:25:51

Thrillhouse

Well, I seem to be making progress.  Changing the default depth to 24 got rid of that error but now when I run the game, a reddish/brown full screen comes up but nothing happens.  It looks like the game is trying to start but it just stays at that plain screen with no mouse movement until I hit Escape.  I don't get any errors running it from the command line besides

and I don't think that has anything to do with the problem but maybe it does.  I checked /var/log/messages and /var/log/Xorg.log but couldn't find anything that might pertain to the problem.

glxgears works but "glxinfo | grep direct" shows me that direct rendering is not enabled.  What else could I try?

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

#5 2007-07-15 06:31:38

Thrillhouse

Wait a minute. I just ran it again and this time I heard music playing in the background (I'm guessing the game's music) and I started hitting some buttons on the keyboard and the game was responding.  If I hit the Up or Down arrows, I heard what sounded like a single strum of the guitar and then if I hit Enter, it sounds like a long, drawn out strum.  So, I must be in the game, correct?  I'm guessing something must be wrong with my X config.

#6 2007-07-15 08:15:48

Acid7711
Website

Could be a case of ati continuing to get bent over by nvidia under Linux.  They really need to play catchup.    Like I said, this games got a LOT of issues. 5 minutes of searching will reveal this.  I got the game to work with no problems, other than the timing was way off on it and it was completely unplayable.  It would lag/speedup.  Cool game, just........shitty coding.

#7 2007-07-15 18:49:49

Thrillhouse

Oh well.  Maybe subsequent versions will be better.  I'll try it again in due time.

Board footer