You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-13 02:25:01

viniosity
Website

Setup to run a website

I've been self-hosting a few applications and services on various machines, but due to some cost constraints need to combine them.  Here's all the stuff I've got running:

1. Jabber server
2. Email server (3 domains just to support apps, 1 is primary email for send/receive)
3. 4 apps (2 get about 5000 pageloads/day, the other 2 about 800 pageloads/day)
4. Subversion

I'm using postfix/courier for the mail servers and php/rails/mongrel/nginx for my apps.

My question is.. is it insane to put all this on a single VPS with 256MB of RAM? My other two options (again, would like to avoid it b/c of cost) is to use a 512MB VPS or split the above into 2 different 256MB VPS'. 

Security is also a concern.. I hate to have my mail servers on the same box as my websites.  Any thoughts? Your opinions appreciated!

#2 2007-07-13 02:40:04

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Setup to run a website

It depends on a few things....

how many mongrels are you running?
How many rais sites?
How many php-fcgi instances?
How many mail users? How much mail traffic?
What database daemon are you using?

I would say that is quite a bit for a 256 vps instance though.
Just try it out...see what gobbles up the most memory, and *then* get another instance (or move to one with more ram) if you need it....which you likely will.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2007-07-13 03:33:34

viniosity
Website

Re: Setup to run a website

Howdy Cactus,

For each site I'm running 3 mongrel instances.    All are rails sites but I use phpMyAdmin on the backend to make quick dbase changes easier  Using MySQL for all sites..  10 mail users.. not much mail traffic.. I'm using postgrey to help alleviate spam.

I'm guessing that it is too much for 256 which makes me wonder if I'm better off splitting into 2 256 slices or just upgrading to a single 512?  For instance, it's still one installation of MySQL and Postfix even though it's servicing more of a load...

v.

Board footer