You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-15 21:51:48

xnooby2

autofs or hal/dbus ?

When I was setting up my Arch box I used autofs so it would automount dvds I wanted to watch with smplayer.  Then I wanted to try "thunar", which needed hal/dbus.  When I enable hal in my rc.conf and rebooted, it said the DVD was locked - by autofs I assume.  So I removed autofs from my rc.conf, and rebooted.  Now thunar works.  I had avoided hal/dbus because I thought I read they were part of gnome and I was afraid it would clutter my system, but then I found it was already installed and I just had to enable it.  Is using autofs deprecated in favor of using hal/dbus?

#2 2007-07-15 22:01:06

kano
Website

Re: autofs or hal/dbus ?

HAL and dbus are needed by alot of things, and using it in conjunction with a volume manager (such as  thunar-volman) seems to be the prefered way to do it.

not sure if autofs is "deprecated" (i can think of a few uses where it'd work better than hal/dbus+volume manager) but since you already got hal/dbus + a volume manager installed, use them wink

\\ archlinux on a XPS M1530 //

#3 2007-07-15 22:57:56

ndlarsen

Re: autofs or hal/dbus ?

IIRC autofs is not deprecated, it usually used by the users who wishes to use a lightweight window manager. Hal/dbus is usually used desktop managers, kde, gnome, xfce.

I made it long
as I lacked the time to make it short...

Board footer