You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-17 15:10:51

hvgotcodes

thinking about switching to arch

Hello

Im thinking about switching to Arch (when I get my new laptop), but wanted to know what differentiates it from a distro like Vector Linux.  Here are my linux needs:

1.  Need Java, Eclipse etc
2.  Implicitly, I need X, but I don't know if I am going to go with Gnome or KDE or even XFCE.  Ill probably want Enlightenment (16.8 and e17) and something like fluxbox.  Questions: what is the latest version of E16 available?  Does Arch even install X? (I would prefer no)
3.  How are optimizations for things like dual core processors, given that Arch is a binary based distro
4.  I would like access to my phone, ipod, digital camera
5.  I might want to try things like compiz/fusion -- this implies that I will need X level compositing working (also for e16/e17).
6.  open office
7.  Dual displays for laptop with external display.  I would like this to work seemlessly when I plug my laptop into an external display, and when I disconnect.
8.  I absolutely need power management (sleep when I close the lid) to work....

Does Arch suit my needs?  I've read favorable reviews ...

#2 2007-07-17 15:32:26

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: thinking about switching to arch

hvgotcodes wrote:

1.  Need Java, Eclipse etc
2.  Implicitly, I need X, but I don't know if I am going to go with Gnome or KDE or even XFCE.  Ill probably want Enlightenment (16.8 and e17) and something like fluxbox.  Questions: what is the latest version of E16 available?  Does Arch even install X? (I would prefer no)

The Arch installer doesn't install X by default, that's something you have to do yourself.
We have Java, Eclipse, Gnome, KDE, XFCE, enlightenment.  The package search is there to help you with these questions: http://www.archlinux.org/packages/search  (it's also at the top right on the main page)

hvgotcodes wrote:

3.  How are optimizations for things like dual core processors, given that Arch is a binary based distro

All packages in the main repos are built with the same CFLAGS.  I can't remember them offhand, and I'm at work so I can't check, but in general they're optimized for i686.

hvgotcodes wrote:

4.  I would like access to my phone, ipod, digital camera

Search around the forums - I'm pretty sure people have gotten ipod/camera access.  Not sure about your phone, might depend on model.

hvgotcodes wrote:

5.  I might want to try things like compiz/fusion -- this implies that I will need X level compositing working (also for e16/e17).

Works fine, depending on what drivers you use for your video card.  Again, forum-search is your friend; lots of people here use compiz/beryl with AIGLX and XGL alike.

hvgotcodes wrote:

6.  open office

Yes.  Package search.

hvgotcodes wrote:

7.  Dual displays for laptop with external display.  I would like this to work seemlessly when I plug my laptop into an external display, and when I disconnect.

I'd imagine that depends entirely on your drivers - I doubt we do anything here at arch to prevent it though.

hvgotcodes wrote:

8.  I absolutely need power management (sleep when I close the lid) to work....

again, afaik that's fine if you don't mind doing some configuration.  You might be better off searching for that on the forums as well, but iirc people have that working fine.

#3 2007-07-17 15:41:47

hvgotcodes

what differentiates it from vector linux?

Also, while I don't care too too much about optimization, seems like all bins being compiled for 686 would make buying a core 2 processor pointless.  Would recompiling the kernel for the processor mitigate some of that?  And any programs that need to perform as fast as possible? 

Am I way off: is 686 the same as core 2?

Thanx for the quick reply btw...

#4 2007-07-17 15:48:45

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

hvgotcodes wrote:

what differentiates it from vector linux?

*shrug* Dunno.  Never used Vector.  Hopefully somebody else might be able to help with that question. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_vs_Others has a good, fairly objective, list of arch vs. other distros - I don't see vector there, but it might give you a good idea.

hvgotcodes wrote:

Also, while I don't care too too much about optimization, seems like all bins being compiled for 686 would make buying a core 2 processor pointless.  Would recompiling the kernel for the processor mitigate some of that?  And any programs that need to perform as fast as possible? 

Am I way off: is 686 the same as core 2?

i686 is pentium2+, I think.  As far as dual-core optimizations go, I'm pretty sure that's done more by the individual application programmers than by the compiler - there's not too much the compiler can squeeze out onto multiple cores that the developer already hasn't.  Buying a dual core to run arch isn't pointless, just like buying a dual-core to run Windows wouldn't be pointless, regardless of how they compiled Windows.  While I haven't personally done any tests, you'll find that most people around here are quick to say that optimizing for anything higher than i686 doesn't introduce very noticeable performance gains, so things should go pretty snappy for you.

#5 2007-07-17 15:52:57

hvgotcodes

thanx for the replies.

I almost forgot, wine and virtualization.  Specifically, if I can't get the online poker clients to work under wine, Ill need to do it with xen, qemu, or vmware.  I didnt see xen in the package searcher, and vmware I only saw the drivers for X.  Do people have any/all of these working under arch?

#6 2007-07-17 15:54:10

ProzacR

Vector / Arch
KDE / nothing at begining you can instal what you want
some kind of package managment / Pacman
i486 optimised / i686 optimised
no updates?! / superduper up to date

intel "core" is i686, and duo I think is came core.

#7 2007-07-17 21:41:10

hvgotcodes

has anyone got x enabled compositing to work for ati cards, for WMs such as e16/fluxbox?  Specifically,  I have an ati x300 based card. 

when I get  my new laptop Ill be going with nvidia (of course), but until then I figured I could give it a shot on my current laptop.  Just waiting for my external HD to arrive so I can backup.....

Board footer