You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-18 15:58:22

gizmo

Getting packages from a Windows machine?

Is there an easy way to get packages and it's dependencies in an automated way from a Windows machine?
I don't have an Internet connection on my arch box... for the time being...

Now, when I want a new package, I download each and every needed package manually... tiresome process if the package has alot of dep's...

can anyone help`??

#2 2007-07-18 16:55:01

Lone_Wolf

Re: Getting packages from a Windows machine?

The easiest way would be to share the internet connection on your windows box with the arch box.
This can be done by placing a router between the internt-modem and your pc's, and letting that take care of the connection.
You should be able to find a suitable router for under 50 euro.

In case you don't want to/can't use a router, you could place a second networkcard in your windows box and setup Internet Connection Sharing which makes your windows box act as a software router.

You could also setup a ftp-server on your windows box and set that up as a local mirror for pacman, but that is  a lot more work than the options above.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2007-07-18 17:27:17

shining
Pacman Developer

Re: Getting packages from a Windows machine?

If you had :
1) a linux box with internet
2) uptodate sync database on the arch box (with pacman -Sy)

Maybe 2) can be done manually by getting all the *.db.tar.gz from the mirrors for each db you want, then extracting these in /var/lib/pacman.

Then you could do :
1) pacman -Sp kde > listurl
2) remove the eventual noise in the first lines of listurl
3) move listurl to a linux box with net
4) wget -i listurl

That's not practical at all though, so I agree that the easier way is getting internet on that box smile

Last edited by shining (2007-07-18 17:28:30)

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

Board footer