You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-19 19:26:30

steven

thunar taking its sweet time to open an external disk

Hi

This problem only occured after a full system upgrade, so I'm not sure where to begin with the debugging. After the full system update, when connecting an external USB drive, the first time I try to access it, Thunar basically hangs for a good 30 seconds. All instances of Thunar freeze. After around 30 seconds, it displays the contents of the drive. Any subsequent accesses are fine.

This issue seems to be limited to thunar, because I could access the contents of the disk instantly via console and my audio player could access the files instantly too. So this happens only with thunar, on the initial access, after mounting the drive. This seems to only affect the externel USB2 HD. I can access optical disks instantly.

As I said, it didn't happen before I did a complete system upgrade.

Perhaps it's kernel related? Maybe I should try dropping back to kernel 2.6.21 ?

I've even compiled my own custom vanilla, patch free 2.6.22.1 kernel, no change.

Any ideas? Anyone else experiencing this? Thanks

#2 2007-08-09 14:39:12

Qwazert

Re: thunar taking its sweet time to open an external disk

Hi everybody,
I'm a new Arch user and I've been digging for hours to solve the problem explained by steven. I'm experiencing this problem with Nautilus instead of Thunar. When plugging my external dirve and trying to show it's content with Nautilus, a part of my system just freezes (Nautilus, Desktop icon and background).  It can take up to 5 minutes until I can access the drive, and sometime the whole system just freeze. Is there something new with this issue? Is it really kernel related?

#3 2007-08-11 01:31:59

Doehni

Hi Qwazert

I posted the very same problem with KDE here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=272359
Because downgrading the kernel solved the probblem, I think it is really kernel related...

#4 2007-08-11 04:39:46

Qwazert

First of all, thanks for your answer Doehni. Since I was using Arch for the very first time, with a fresh new installation, I was just suspecting everything to be the possible cause of my problem.
Now a stupid newbie question, can I downgrade a package with a simple command in Pacman?

#5 2007-08-11 05:11:49

Qwazert

I made a few more searches, and since the package isn't no more on the repositories nor in my computer's cache, I guess I'll just have to wait for the new kernel wich fixes this bug.

#6 2007-08-11 13:24:39

Doehni

I found the older kernel 2.6.21 on the Duke install CD. You can find them on some mirrors, like: ftp://archlinux.puzzle.ch/iso/
To downgrade a package:
Go to the folder where you have the package stored, then "update" the package to the older version:

pacman -U package.tar.gz

If you want to hold a package at the installed version, add tha line to /etc/pacman.conf

IgnorePkg   = packagename (e.g. kernel26)

I hope this helps! smile

#7 2007-08-11 15:32:55

Qwazert

It could not be clearer! It's working perfectly now, thanks a lot.

#8 2007-08-12 15:28:45

Doehni

I just upgraded to the new kernel26-2.6.22.2-1 and everything is working again! big_smile

Board footer