You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-20 00:58:09

CaspianXI

[solved] Blank screen when resuming from suspend (using nvidia driver)

I've been suspending to RAM using "powersave -u", and works fine... until I decided to use the nvidia drivers (instead of nv). Now, my machine still suspends... it just doesn't resume very well. The screen is completely blank.

I've added "NvAGP" "1" to the Device section in my xorg.conf, but still no go.

Is there some other option I need to enable to suspend properly while using the nvidia drivers?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Here's my log from /var/log/suspend2ram.log: http://pastebin.com/f5f31985a
From the log, it looks like everything went fine with suspending and resuming. Really weird...

Last edited by CaspianXI (2007-09-09 19:59:55)

#2 2007-07-21 13:51:48

nicholai

Re: [solved] Blank screen when resuming from suspend (using nvidia driver)

My resume only works with:

Option "NvAGP" "0"

You might want to give that a try.

Desktop :Athlon64       2.2 GHz
Laptop   :Toshiba R100    1GHz

#3 2007-07-21 14:20:04

mehldutt

#4 2007-07-21 15:36:42

CaspianXI

Ok... I found that my problem is that I'm using the nvidia package, when I should be using the nvidia-71xx legacy drivers.

So, I replaced nvidia with nvidia-71xx and suspend works great now... except the nvidia drivers don't work anymore (they worked when I was using the nvidia package).

When I try to run glxgrars or beryl, I get this error:

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual

Do I need to install/configure something else to use the legacy drivers? I haven't touched my xorg.conf since switching from nvidia to nvidia-71xx.

Edit: I added 'nvidia' to the MODULES section in /etc/rc.conf, but still no go...

Last edited by CaspianXI (2007-07-21 15:43:33)

#5 2007-09-09 19:59:20

CaspianXI

Ok, I solved my problem. I found that I need to be using nvidia-71xx, but nvidia-71xx does not have a "nvidia-xconfig" command, so you have to manually edit your xorg file... and I couldn't figure out what to edit to make it work for me... but I found something that works.

This is kindof a hack but it works. For those who may have the same problem in the future: Install nvidia-96xx, run  "nvidia-xconfig", and install nvidia-71xx.

#6 2007-09-10 21:35:04

kagerato
Website

The relevant parts of xorg.conf are Section "Screen" for the display device being used and Section "Device" for the driver and driver options.  The Device line in the Screen section identifies which Device section (driver) is being used for that screen.

I imagine you just needed to change the Driver line in the Device section to "nvidia".  Additionally, you might have needed a Load "glx" line within Section "Modules" (usually near the top of the file).

Modifying xorg.conf is pretty straightforward when you familiarize yourself with its relatively simple structure.  After you've done it a few times, it feels pretty trivial.

#7 2007-09-10 22:13:17

fwojciec

Here is what I need to do in order to get suspend to ram and disk (suspend to disk is actually more of a problem) to work on my nvidia based laptop (works with the latest nvidia drivers).  This is just for reference, in case someone else has problems with suspending with nvidia drivers and finds this thread looking for ideas.  Note: I suspend/hibernate using custom written scripts so I'm not sure how to implement all this using other suspend infrastructures.

1) Add "Option "NvAGP" "1" to the Device section in xorg.conf and blacklist "intel_agp" in rc.conf.  Restart the system.  You can do "lsmod | grep agp" just to check if it worked: "intel_agp" _should not_ be listed.
2) Suspend: In my scripts I switch the display off before suspending using vbetool (available in the repos).  The command is "/usr/sbin/vbetool dpms off".  Then I switch it back on after resume: "/usr/sbin/vbetool dpms on".  I also switch the console to vt1 and back just to be sure (after resume):

#Switch consoles
FGCONSOLE=`fgconsole`
chvt 1 && chvt $FGCONSOLE

3) Hibernate is pretty much the same, except I have to switch the display on and off _after_ resume.  The relevant section in my hibernate script looks as follows:

# Turn the screen off and back on
/usr/sbin/vbetool dpms off    
/usr/sbin/vbetool dpms on                
# Switch consoles
FGCONSOLE=`fgconsole`
chvt 1 && chvt $FGCONSOLE

It is also necessary to switch the consoles - it is actually more important in the case of hibernation than in the case of suspend (where it might be unnecessary but I just leave it there).
I get some pretty, colorful patterns on my screen for a moment when resuming from hibernate (framebuffer gets confised, it seems), but it all works very reliably.

PS: Feel free to email me if you want the complete scripts.

Board footer