You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-20 01:49:26

nilsHaus

[SOLVED] getting a GUI v2

tongue

Okay, now I'm installing it on a laptop (ooh, touchy). I was also very stupid, and instead of following Pudge's installation guide to the letter (I already had a Windows installation I didn't want to lose, so I partitioned away, and GRUB works fine, thank you). But now my X sucks. Its using vesa as the driver--my problem is I don't know which driver I should use. This laptop (dell inspiron 2500) has integrated graphics, and as far I can tell (which means, windows computer management>display adapters) its an Intel 82815. I thought I had found out that this was in the same family as i810, so I installed that driver, but its giving all sorts of errors.

Funny thing is, I can exec openbox when I startx, but its just terrible quality, I think it might be 800x600, and some weird stuff like the openbox menu having an entry for firefox and gaim even though they're not installed, and there being no desktop at all (Unless I'm mistaken and openbox is just a WM?)

Thanks for your help guys, I'm definitely sinking my teeth into this distro wholeheartedly. My samba server is up and running and I'm going to try to make a windows and linux coexist with a shared home partition smile
After that, eventually, it'd be sick if I could even share programs (why have two copies of firefox?), though I'm fairly certain thats impossible across filesystems and operating systems.

Last edited by nilsHaus (2007-08-06 15:00:44)

#2 2007-07-20 02:30:59

tom5760
Website

Re: [SOLVED] getting a GUI v2

How did you set up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf?  If you installed the xf86-video-i810 package, I'd generate an xorg conf like this (run as root without X running):

X -configure
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I find that the X autoconfigure is actually really good, it will generate a good base xorg.conf.  You might have to tweak some stuff to get DRI, etc, but it should run fine.

#3 2007-07-20 02:49:56

mitsoko
Banned

alsa, openbox is just a wm, see the wiki for more info on setting ti up, it comes with default entries in the menu i think it's intended to be manually filled.
also, the xorg configure  utils will most likely generate as sane as possible, they are not intended to generate a final setup, it's up to you to tweak it to your needs.

Last edited by raeven (2007-07-20 02:51:17)

#4 2007-07-20 09:05:49

Obi-Lan

Try xf86-video-intel package and set your driver line to "intel"?

#5 2007-07-20 23:47:43

nilsHaus

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

That's a good idea, I never backup my stuff.

And other than that yes, the configuration is very "sane" its just not very appealing. I'll try the intel drivers.

Last edited by nilsHaus (2007-07-20 23:48:00)

#6 2007-07-24 00:41:48

nilsHaus

I can't find the intel drivers. I've unchecked all the default repositories (current, community, unstable, testing,...)

#7 2007-07-24 03:16:40

dreamer289

The xf86-video-intel drivers are a new revision of the i810 drivers and are due with the latest release of Xorg, as far as I know, they're still in the Testing repository =\ i'd wait until it hits Current to be honest... i810 works perfectly fine for that graphics chipset at the moment, so I very much doubt it is a driver problem... on the other hand, I have no idea what else it could be! Fancy throwing up your Xorg.conf?

#8 2007-07-24 14:37:03

nilsHaus

No, problem, although I think you misunderstand--I can't even download them, even from testing...
EDIT:Testing is now available, I forgot to uncomment [testing] in pacman.conf
But I try to download xf86-video-i810 and it tells me these three files are already on my computer...Do I have to install them or something?
Pacman -Qs xf86-video only shows up the vesa driver.

And I actually have no idea how to copy-paste...I usually use nano for editing but I guess it doesn't work in openbox? Do I need a gui frontend? If you have any suggestions, something like notepad++ for windows would be swell.

Last edited by nilsHaus (2007-07-24 14:42:32)

#9 2007-07-24 19:31:27

dreamer289

Are you saying pacman complains about already existing files when you try to install them? If so try forcing it to install with 'pacman -Sf xf86-video-i810'.

I really recommend keeping the [Testing] repository commented out for now though until your setup works with Current... unless you've already upgraded, in which case nevermind.

Gedit (Gnome) or Kedit (KDE) usually suit me for GUI editors, but they'll want to install half their damned corresponding desktop environments with them... Nano should work just fine from a console in openbox though, copying and pasting then depends on what console you're using.

#10 2007-07-25 01:08:40

nilsHaus

Aright, I forced install of i810 (what does that even mean? Can I just write 'i810' in the driver line of xorg.conf and it'll know what I'm talking about? I already have problems with ndiswrapper and fuse modules being found)
EDIT:Something different, (EE) message tells me bpp (32) is not supported by this screen...kindof not true.

And I'm using xterm? it doesn't seem to list a command for copy paste and I can't select anything bigger than the actual window...

I totally forgot I have ext2IIFS installed on my windows partition...Anyways here's my xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "X.org Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    RgbPath      "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "xtrap"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "record"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "dri"
    Load  "type1"
    Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "auto"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
        ### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "ShadowFB"               # [<bool>]
        #Option     "DefaultRefresh"         # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ModeSetClearScreen"     # [<bool>]
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "vesa"
    VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
    BoardName   "82815 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]"
    BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Card0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
        Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

I deleted some stuff in the screen section and added the Modes "1024x768" when I first configured this...apparently did nothing though.

Last edited by nilsHaus (2007-07-25 01:18:55)

#11 2007-07-25 07:35:47

dreamer289

You're right, it means the Xorg drivers have been forcefully installed, i.e. pacman ignored whatever existing files there were contained within the package that were already on your system. This really shouldn't happen if they were installed cleanly by pacman originally... its good at tracking files from packages it has installed =\. So, I have no idea how you accomplished that wink.

Also Xorg's drivers aren't likely to have any effect on the kernel and its corresponding modules, they're purely for Xorg's purposes of working with your display adapter and exist completely outside of the kernel's files and modules. (Which you might have already known, sorry if you did =\).

Anyway, if everything is installed correctly, like you said, you can replace vesa with i810 in the Device section. Any problems after that are either hardware problems (most probably if it isn't recognised by the i810 driver. very unlikely) or xorg config problems. You might also want to try this Screen section. You're missing a DefaultDepth, which (I think) Xorg defaults to 24 anyway... but still, no harm in specifying it.

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen0"
    Device      "Card0"
    Monitor     "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

You're probably best off searching recommendations on the forum for other consoles (topics in Desktop Environments should help), not that theres anything wrong with xterm... but it doesn't do an awful lot! It does have copy and paste functionality... most requiring the middle mouse button (or both mouse buttons together) but I've never bothered to figure it out and just used gnome-terminal or KDE's konsole instead smile.

Last edited by dreamer289 (2007-07-25 07:52:04)

#12 2007-07-25 13:47:36

ataraxia

Copying in xterm is done by just highlighting the text, pasting into it is done by middle-click (usually the mouse-wheel). A lot of older X apps work this way.

#13 2007-08-03 03:38:11

nilsHaus

Once and for all, oes an Intel 82815 chipset use the i810 drivers? Or what drivers does it use?

#14 2007-08-04 00:28:19

bogomipz

ataraxia wrote:

Copying in xterm is done by just highlighting the text, pasting into it is done by middle-click (usually the mouse-wheel). A lot of older X apps work this way.

Older? All X apps work this way.

All of your mips are belong to us!!

#15 2007-08-04 02:47:22

ataraxia

bogomipz wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

I think (though I might be wrong) that some of the newer apps, especially ones for heavy DEs, will ignore input from this method of pasting. Doesn't Firefox do so? (I'd check, but I have no access right now to do so)

#16 2007-08-04 04:05:42

nikron

ataraxia wrote:
bogomipz wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

I think (though I might be wrong) that some of the newer apps, especially ones for heavy DEs, will ignore input from this method of pasting. Doesn't Firefox do so? (I'd check, but I have no access right now to do so)

Firefox does respond to it.  By putting whatever you pasted into the address bar, and going to it.

#17 2007-08-04 04:16:40

nilsHaus

uh...I got it to work on a new install, I just copy pasted what he gave me (whilst I was running Windows and ext2IFS). I'm not sure if its at the full 1024x768, but
Thank you very much, I'll try to add some sort of knowledge to the wiki.

#18 2007-08-06 15:00:20

nilsHaus

HALLELUJAH! Aright, this might be an uncouth bump, but I'd like to tell everyone what I've learned.

I finally got my screen to a resolution of 1024x768. By reading through the Xorg log (X.org will tell you where it is once you exit it) I realized that it was autodetecting the wrong refresh rates (you really have to go through everything though). I'm not sure if I'm currently killing my screen right now, but Windows runs in 1024x768 so I assume we're good. In any case, I added [HorizSync] and [VertRefresh] to my the [Monitor] section of my xorg.conf, and it was all good. I used 30-60 and 50-60 respectively, although I was being impatient and actually have no idea lol;)
So it's working, I just dunno if its bad for the screen.

?eace, and thanks everyone for the help

Board footer