You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-22 19:40:26

problems with grub not working after install

Hi there,

I'm having some problems with grub not working after a fresh install on my new machine.

when I select to load arch in grub I get the following error message

Booting 'Arch Linux'

root (hd1,1)
Error 22: No Such Partition

Press any key to continue

when it returns to the OS selection screen if I select Vista I get the following error message

Booting 'Windows'

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
make active
chainloader +1

Error 13: invalid or unsupported executable format

press any key to continue

The machine has 3 drives a 320gb sata drive that arch detects as sda which has windows on it.
a 260gb drive that arch detects as sdb which is partitioned sdb1 is the swap and sdb2 is /
and a third 320gb drive which arch detects as sdc which /home resides

The second 2 drives are actually ide but for some reason they are being picked up as sdb and sdc?

thanks for any help
Yours
Mike

#2 2007-07-23 16:28:35

Cogar

Re: problems with grub not working after install

For Arch, GRUB is trying to find the Linux kernel in the second partition of your second hard drive. Based on your description, that appears correct, but since GRUB cannot find it, I am wondering if it is actually pointing where it should. You might want to check the path to your kernel and make sure it is correct in GRUB (no typos).

Since I am not running Windows on my "Arch computer," I cannot confirm how the utility sets up that portion of the menu. However, on another dual boot machine, mine does not use the line "make active."

I don't know if that will solve any problems, but it may give you an idea regarding where to proceed. Of course, setting up GRUB again is probably the best plan, since it will avoid whatever mistake may have occurred with the first one.

I believe the newer Linux kernels use "sda" terminology for all SATA drives, regardless of the bus they are actually on.

#3 2007-07-26 18:21:16

Re: problems with grub not working after install

bit embarassing, but it serves to show that I really shouldn't rush an install especially when tired, the problem as ever was caused by myself and i didn't set the bootable tab in cfdisk.... oops, also i shouldn't have uncommented the make active thing in grub.

now i need to try get the frigging wireless network working.....

Board footer