You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-28 16:18:02

ezzetabi

ATI problems, what does AMD says?

When I was a Windows user I was an ATI fan, unfortunately I keep this idea also in linux...
As you probably know ATI newer cards gives LOTS of trouble in linux as first there is no open source driver support and the closed source is unbearably slow.
After reading around in the Internet I understood the only solution is buying an nVidia. But I have a 2000$ expensive laptop and I do not have money to buy an other one atm...

I was wondering, do someone knows what AMD says officially about this? About the fact its customers says each other to buy nVidia? Will they make a decent driver soon or later?
I tried to seek in the official site but I do not found much, do someone know more?
I am wondering since I am considering to sell this computer hoping to obtain at least 1000$ and buy a new one, surely less capable (as spec) but with an nVidia so I can at least play high quality movies without frame drop.
(it is so bad that even if I use xterm when I am compiling something that does lots of output it happens X uses all the CPU not gcc.... :S )

Sigh... sad
Thanks.

#2 2007-07-28 16:25:41

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: ATI problems, what does AMD says?

http://www.phoronix.com/?page=news_item&px=NTkxOA

Maybe ati drivers will get better.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer