You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-30 05:27:46

sdelano

AWN taking up the bottom of the screen

I am running openbox with xcompmgr and AWN.

Why dows AWN disable the bottom 10% ish of my screen? I cant right click for the openbox menu, cant click on links near the bottom when my browser is maximized, and it covers up the bottom of my conky as well.

What the hell?

Thanks,
sdelano

#2 2007-08-03 06:53:35

sdelano

Re: AWN taking up the bottom of the screen

Bump....

If you look at the picture in this thread, the area at the bottom of his screen which is black is the part of my screen which is disabled. Except I can click on awn, I can drag things through it, but I cannot click on anything that is below that point that is not part of awn....quite annoying.

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=35497

Thanks Again

Last edited by sdelano (2007-08-03 06:53:51)

#3 2007-08-03 22:16:04

MrWeatherbee

I know I'm the last person you want to hear from smile, and I really don't have an answer for you. But I did do some testing out of curiosity, and here is what I get:

- gnome-session w/ metacity + avant = black bar across bottom of screen and all space clickable
- gnome-session w/ metacity + xcompmgr + avant = almost normal avant behavior (a little buggy but no black bar and all space clickable)
- gnome-session w/ xfwm4    + avant = black bar across bottom of screen and all space clickable
- gnome-session w/ xfwm4    + xfwm4 compositor + avant = normal avant behavior (no black bar and all space clickable)
- gnome-session w/ xfwm4    + xcompmgr + avant = normal avant behavior (no black bar and all space clickable)
- gnome-session w/ beryl      + avant = normal avant behavior (no black bar and all space clickable)
- openbox-gnome-session     + avant = black bar across bottom of screen and black space unclickable
- openbox-gnome-session     + xcompmgr + avant = avant appears normal (no black bar but space equal to black bar is unclickable)
- openbox-session                + avant = black bar across bottom of screen and black space unclickable
- openbox-session                + xcompmgr + avant = avant appears normal (no black bar but space equal to black bar is unclickable)

You've probably already figured out that the unclickable space is directly related to the size of the black bar visible when no compositor is running, and that the black bar / unclickable area is relative to the height of the Avant bar. As such, changing the bar height in gconf-editor changes the size of the black space and / or unclickable area.

I did my tests with the 'bzr' version of Avant from AUR and OpenBox from the repos.

Hope you find an answer without having to ditch OpenBox or Avant. But at least you know it's not just you.

Last edited by MrWeatherbee (2007-08-03 22:21:10)

#4 2007-08-08 16:44:16

sdelano

Thanks for looking into all of this...I found more issues than this with avant and in the end just found it to be a nice toy and that about it. I moved on to pypanel for now and am having no problems at all.

Thanks

#5 2007-08-08 21:06:13

MrWeatherbee

sdelano wrote:

I found more issues than this with avant and in the end just found it to be a nice toy and that about it. I moved on ...

Thanks

I'm with you.

After playing around / testing a bunch of software (including Avant), I did a fresh install ... and Avant didn't make the cut back on to the new system. Even if it was completely bug free, it really is just a piece of fluff in my opinion.

#6 2007-08-08 21:24:00

Roberth

Use the Source, Luke!

Board footer