You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-30 10:48:06

panecillo

Notification system with popups

Hi all,

I'm trying to find an utility to display popups on my icewm desktop, showing a custom message (e.g. "Compile completed").

I have found something called notification-daemon (http://www.galago-project.org/news/index.php), but I wonder if exists a simpler solution which doesn't use DBUS.

Could you please suggest me something for that purpose?

#2 2007-07-30 11:20:24

retsaw

Re: Notification system with popups

xdialog?

#3 2007-07-30 14:39:25

lessthanjake
Website

or xmessage

#4 2007-08-03 15:28:10

ht42

There is a commandline front end for the notification-daemon. Try notify-send, which is included in the libnotify package.

#5 2007-08-04 12:02:07

iphitus
Forum Fellow

aye, just start notification-daemon, and use notify-send to send messages to it.

James

#6 2007-08-04 13:03:37

lessthanjake
Website

ht42 wrote:

There is a commandline front end for the notification-daemon. Try notify-send, which is included in the libnotify package.

iphitus wrote:

aye, just start notification-daemon, and use notify-send to send messages to it.

James

He is looking for something not using DBUS. Then xmessage could be a choice. It's ugly but i works. If you would like something more beautiful you could easily make a dialog yourselves using pygtk.

#!/usr/bin/env python
import sys
try:
    import gtk
except:
    sys.exit("pygtk is not installed")

d = gtk.MessageDialog(buttons=gtk.BUTTONS_OK)
try:
    d.set_markup(' '.join(sys.argv[1:]))
except:
    sys.exit("Usage: " + sys.argv[0] + " message")
d.run()

#7 2007-08-04 13:15:39

iphitus
Forum Fellow

lessthanjake wrote:
ht42 wrote:

iphitus wrote:

James

He is looking for something not using DBUS. Then xmessage could be a choice. It's ugly but i works. If you would like something more beautiful you could easily make a dialog yourselves using pygtk.

</snip>

well there's always knotify then!

notifications to me, implies passive notifications that don't interrupt your work. info dialogs aren't passive, they steal the focus.

It's silly running from dbus, and chances are he had difficulties with notification-daemon, which gave him the impression dbus is "complex" and dbus is bad. He may have thought that he would be forced to use dbus-send to create messages, without knowing that notify-send exists.

I'm just guessing, sure. But notification-daemon is a really good simple setup that works really well - and dbus costs nothing, yet offers so much.

James.

#8 2007-08-04 17:50:07

smoon
Website

dzen might work as well.

#9 2007-08-04 19:39:01

panecillo

Wow! I didn't expect so many replies smile

I don't think dbus is difficult to setup, but you're all right: I didn't know that notify-send existed smile

I just wanted to know if there was an alternative that didn't depend on dbus, because it seemed too 'heavy' provided that I just wanted it to show short messages.

But after reading the documentation, modifying a little the sample perl script provided on notify-daemon wiki, trying notify-send and learning a little about dbus, I'll stick with notify-daemon and notify-send.

Thank you anyway lessthanjake and smoon for your suggestions smile

Board footer