You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-07 18:58:18

Mardukas
Banned

Request: automaticly install missing dependencies

When I do makepkg -c, sometimes it shows missing dependencies, so pacman could automaticaly install them, because writing pacman -S dependency isn't fun. tongue

#2 2007-08-07 20:00:42

dolby

Re: Request: automaticly install missing dependencies

try yaourt or aurbuild

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2007-08-07 20:37:25

stonecrest

Or try reading the makepkg manual.

I am a gated community.

#4 2007-08-07 22:14:40

Mardukas
Banned

Reading - the thing I hate. ;/
edit: ok, thank you. smile

stonecrest wrote:

Or try reading the makepkg manual.

-s, --syncdeps
              Install missing dependencies using pacman. When missing build-time or run-time dependencies are found, pacman will try to resolve them.
              If successful, the missing packages will be downloaded and installed.

Nice. tongue

Last edited by Mardukas (2007-08-07 22:42:43)

#5 2007-08-12 22:25:07

cems

"makepkg -s" installs the dependencies for package foo, but if I run "pacman -Rs foo" those dependencies are not removed.

I tried to remove the dependencies after compiling foo and before installing it with "pacman -U foo", but then pacman complains about missing dependencies and does not automatically installs them.

Is there a way to make recursive remotion work with local abs?

Thank you.

#6 2007-08-12 23:38:01

xaw

Hi there,

I don't know if this answers your question, but pacman has the --cascading option which (sometimes) helps to remove all dependencies of your example package foo without affecting other packages (for example if two packages depended on many libraries, but both depended on a common one, pacman will not remove that library)

just pacman -Rcs foo and see if this is your desired effect you are looking for

Cheers

The water never asked for a channel, and the channel never asked for water.

#7 2007-08-13 00:46:40

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Well, the problem would be that pacman used to have an undocumented option (-D) to mark packages as "installed as a dep" even when they were explicitly installed -- makepkg used this option.  This undocumented option was removed in pacman 3 and makepkg changed to use a regular pacman -S operation, which installs the deps as "explicitly installed", and causes the issue.

They're planning on doing an option to pacman -S to duplicate the -D option (something like --asdep or something) but it's not in there yet.

#8 2007-08-13 02:03:11

cems

That would be great! I don't know exactly how pacman works, but portage (gentoo package manager) keeps a list of explicitly installed packages in a text file, so we can edit it. Meanwhile, can we do something similar with pacman?

Thank you

Board footer