You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-08 13:42:09

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Avant Window Navigator not working correctly

Hi all,
It's been long since I've tried to make my AWN work correctly. Today I have tried to install avant-window-navigator-bzr from AUR, but there are some issues with the applets I am not able to solve.

First of all, when I try to put a notification area (or stacks, from a patched PKGBUILD), I only get a white line on the bar:

screenshot1dj2.th.png

Also when I try to add some launchers, I get a blank menu, and when I click on "Add" I get no feedback, nothing happens:

screenshot2yk0.th.png

Thanks in advance for your help! smile

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#2 2007-08-08 14:55:55

testube_babies

Re: Avant Window Navigator not working correctly

For the notification area to work, you have to remove any other notification-areas from your panels.  Sometimes it requires a session restart to show up properly.

To get launchers on the dock, make standard .desktop launchers in a folder you won't move.  Then simply drag and drop the .desktop files onto the dock.

Stacks are, at the moment, not so easy to get working.  I'm constantly updating my PKGBUILD here trying to get it to work on as many different machines as possible.  The stack applet is not very well-written in its current state, so it requires some yucky file manipulations to get it to work (see post_install() in the .install file).

I just updated my pkgbuild, so try it again.  If you still get white lines, try rebooting and/or restarting your user session.  If you still get white lines after rebooting, can you post the terminal output after adding the offending applets?

EDIT:  Also, a warning:  look over the .install file and make sure it doesn't affect your configuration in a negative way.  The file manipulations needed to get stacks to work could (but shouldn't) potentially harm your system.

Last edited by testube_babies (2007-08-08 15:02:37)

#3 2007-08-08 15:46:06

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Thanks testube_babies,
I got the launchers working, but stacks aren't even with the new PKGBUILD. The output is not so helpful:

APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/taskman.desktop
APPLET : /usr/lib/awn/applets/stack.desktop

Thanks for your help smile

Have you Syued today?

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#4 2007-08-08 18:30:08

testube_babies

Okay I see my problem; there was a permissions issue in post_install().

Please check to see that ~/.config/awn belongs to your user and not root!  Then you can download my pkgbuild again, hopefully the permissions fix should also get fix some stack issues.

BIG NOTE:  For now, it looks like you have to manually install the Stack gconf schemas after installing the package.  From the PKGBUILD directory,

gconftool-2 --install-schema-file=pkg/etc/gconf/schemas/stack.schemas

Hopefully this should work smile

Last edited by testube_babies (2007-08-08 18:30:59)

#5 2007-08-08 18:44:28

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Yay! you got it right smile
It's working now, I can't tell you how perfectly, since I still have to figure out how to use stacks, but the folder is there smile

Thanks a lot for your work and effort smile

Have you Syued today?

#6 2007-08-09 00:45:12

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Ok, after some testing, I can see that the folders I put in the stack disappear every time I restart AWN. Also, when I try to remove one folder from it, it gets stuck, and the folder I tried to remove remains there, so basically I have to remove the stacks applet, and put all the folders back in.

Do you have similar issues?

Lastly, I noticed that the icons I put in the stack cover the stack icon, so there's no point in me trying to change it, since it looks like crap when I start adding stuff into the stack.

Does it sound familiar?

Thanks for your time smile

Have you Syued today?

#7 2007-08-09 01:10:11

testube_babies

In gconf-editor, /apps/avant-window-navigator/applets/[some random number] houses all of the stack options.

Changing stack_backend_folder out of /tmp will keep items in your stack after you restart AWN.

Uncheck stack_composite_applet_icon to avoid getting the ugly pile of icons.

You can change the icon that the stack uses by changing stack_applet_icon, but it looks in your current icon theme, so you can't specify an absolute path.

All of this (along with the nasty installation issues) will hopefully be changing with the next version of the stack applet sometime next week.

#8 2007-08-09 01:30:27

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Sorry I forgot to mention that I have changed the stack folder already (I have created a separate folder in my home), but I keep getting the same problem.
As for the icons piling up, thanks for the tip! smile

Have you Syued today?

#9 2007-08-09 02:46:42

testube_babies

I see what you mean about the folders disappearing.  That's a strange bug, especially since the link to the folder DOESN'T disappear, only the folder in the stack does.  This is probably another bug with the applet, I can't see how my PKGBUILD could cause this behavior.

I'll report this to the applet author, but I wouldn't expect a quick fix.

Last edited by testube_babies (2007-08-09 02:47:31)

#10 2007-08-09 10:27:18

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

testube_babies wrote:

That's a strange bug, especially since the link to the folder DOESN'T disappear, only the folder in the stack does.

Yes, this is exactly what is happening.

Thanks! smile

Have you Syued today?

Board footer